• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    He clearly thinks you are the perfect fit for that rate......
    I had a gig couple of years ago with a company known to be paying peanuts, but I was in a desperate situation. When looking for next one, some agents were trying to set me up with another low paying gig pointing a t the past contract. It was quite funny, but I was in much better position then and I could pick and choose.
    I think the main motivation now is the sad state of the market, but I have some buffer...

Comment

Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
      I had a gig couple of years ago with a company known to be paying peanuts, but I was in a desperate situation.
      And they got monkeys.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
        This is what a 90% drop in job market activity feels like.

It could be like this for another 12 months.
        I reckon longer with IR35 looming in April and Covid probably still around spring 2021. The only three contracts I've seen in the last few weeks were paying peanuts, around 30-40% below normal market rate, I reckon some hiring managers must be enjoying seeing contractors on the begging end of the stick. Even most contracts in mainland Europe are paying laughable inclusive rates with two page requirements lists.
        Last edited by dsc; 5 August 2020, 23:24.

Comment

Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
          An agent called me today with the same role he called me a month ago. Still quite laughable rate...
          Don't be like me and ignore that laughable rate for months and end up eventually taking one even lower.

Comment

i am actually finding the market a bit better than when I was looking last Summer. Still no joy but last year I was going weeks without seeing a suitable contract on Jobserve, plus LinkedIn seems to have come into play in the interim.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
              i am actually finding the market a bit better than when I was looking last Summer. Still no joy but last year I was going weeks without seeing a suitable contract on Jobserve, plus LinkedIn seems to have come into play in the interim.
              I read a post on Linked In yesterday from a recruiter saying he was just posting roles on Linked In rather than Jobserve, as he would have had 400 applications to sift through.

Then again, from what I've seen on the other side of the process, plenty of people apply without having relevant skills. I'm not talking missing one or two of the role requirements, but not really having done that type of role at all.
              Last edited by LadyPenelope; 6 August 2020, 10:15.

Comment

Fellas, I need a bit of advice.

I am currently in a contract which is inside IR35. Damn IR35 almost halves my daily rate! This is also the first time that I have worked inside IR35. I have been in this contract for just over a year and the client generously keeps renewing my contract.
                BUT, I am working with freshies, who have landed the roles in my team due to incompetent hiring process ( one phone interview and you got the job ) , who can't follow basic instructions and don't have much experience but walk around with the air that they should be the CTO's of the place!

I am thinking of leaving this contract. Will it be a good idea to leave now in this COVID era? Or, just be grateful that I am getting paid and carry on till mid next year when post COVID and post Brexit situation will improve.

Comment

Originally posted by Naruto1 View Post

I am currently in a contract which is inside IR35. Damn IR35 almost halves my daily rate! This is also the first time that I have worked inside IR35. I have been in this contract for just over a year and the client generously keeps renewing my contract.
                  BUT, I am working with freshies, who have landed the roles in my team due to incompetent hiring process ( one phone interview and you got the job ) , who can't follow basic instructions and don't have much experience but walk around with the air that they should be the CTO's of the place!

I am thinking of leaving this contract. Will it be a good idea to leave now in this COVID era? Or, just be grateful that I am getting paid and carry on till mid next year when post COVID and post Brexit situation will improve.
                  Find a new contract and then leave.

Comment

Originally posted by Naruto1 View Post

Leave when you find a new role - simples

Set your newbies simple tasks with a deadline, if the meet the deadline increase and make harder, if the fail it give you ammo to get rid

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Having just been diagnosed with autism, tempted to change company pitch... "Hey, clients, why offshore for a crap service when you can hire this company and tick your disability boxes at the same time"...

Comment

Working...
                      X