• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Where I work, no male who reads the Daily Mail and constantly whinges has been hired in IT for at least 12 months. However we hired a ton of non-white, non-male employees. Maybe just co-incidence I don't know, but last 12 months has had one theme "Diversity matters" as the company focus.
    FTFY
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Where I work, no white male has been hired in IT for at least 12 months. However we hired a ton of non-white, non-male employees. Maybe just co-incidence I don't know, but last 12 months has had one theme "Diversity matters" as the company focus.
      Once bitten twice shy.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
        Depends where you live probably and what Industry. A little surprised about females being hired, it's been a long time since I worked with a female in a technical role. Lots of BAs and PMs though.
        I recently did a contract in a young hipster company and there were tons of females in technical roles. As you would expect, they were just as good as anyone else. I'm talking 25 year olds doing agile-lean-ux-science-fairs and pair programming.

And no, they didn't neccessarily weigh tons individually

Comment

While not a contract per se, I had seen, applied for, and had a chat with the agent about some volunteer PM work for the NHS.

Advert and agent was dealt with on 2nd July.
          Chat with NHS on 29th July - this was more of an introduction to the project where I 'interviewed' him more than him me.
          Asked to start 3rd August.
          Was told more likely 10th August.
          Was told on 7th August some forms needed to be sent over for me to complete for some onboarding checks.
          Today is the 11th and absolutely no word from anyone. ....Two weeks after my chat with the NHS!

Was honestly quite excited about getting some Public Sector work on the CV, and specifically to give something back to the NHS. But having chased every two days since the beginning of July, I dunno...

Comment

Is it just me or is the amount of even perm jobs dropping steadily from week to week now? There was a bit of a spike a few weeks ago, but now seems even more dreadful.

Comment

I don't watch perm jobs, but while I certainly wouldn't say hotting up I'm seeing an increase in roles. Got submitted and interviewed for one last week, just been submitted for another. That's after near enough, what, 2 months plus of absolutely zilch. I'm pretty niche so I tend to have a fairly decent application -> success ratio, only because there are fewer jobs and a small pool. Only 3 people got submitted for the one last week, for example.

Comment

First proper day of looking - found 5 things to apply for and have had zero calls. Usually I get call within 5 mins of submitting an application pre-covid

Comment

getting more email traffic, I'm quoting the usual 500

working on my startup idea full-time meantime

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
                    First proper day of looking - found 5 things to apply for and have had zero calls. Usually I get call within 5 mins of submitting an application pre-covid
                    Similar on CV Library, an upload typically triggers a week full of phone calls. Got two emails and that was it

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post
                      Is it just me or is the amount of even perm jobs dropping steadily from week to week now? There was a bit of a spike a few weeks ago, but now seems even more dreadful.
                      Job postings in July were still bottoming out on average across all sectors according to latest REC report on jobs. Though I also noticed a spike start of August and lasting about 1 week.

I think what is happening is the market as a whole is reaching the bottom but some resilient industries are still adding jobs.

Comment

Working...
                      X