• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by founder View Post
    brutal honesty \0)
    Only if you don't want to ever deal with the agent again...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Search Radius

Out of curiosity
      When searching on job boards (i.e. JobServe) what do you put for search radius (i.e. 50miles from this address)....and with COVID and more wfh, are you increasing that to cover more the UK?

Comment

On every job site I just search for the job type and leave the area blank, so it defaults to the whole of UK. Not that it matters as there's still ***** all in the results.

Comment

heard about a fully remote contract at £400 pd via recruiter , I told them I'd do it for working 6:30 hrs per day, yet to hear back
          not smart

you may be working 6.5 in practice (in fact I'm sure many people work less) but you don't tell the client that up front

Comment

heard about a fully remote contract at £400 pd via recruiter , I told them I'd do it for working 6:30 hrs per day, yet to hear back
            Some free advice for you, never play poker. Or at least not until you know to keep your cards close to your chest.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              Only if you don't want to ever deal with the agent again...
              Originally posted by hungry_hog View Post
              not smart

you may be working 6.5 in practice (in fact I'm sure many people work less) but you don't tell the client that up front
              Originally posted by TheDogsNads View Post
              Some free advice for you, never play poker. Or at least not until you know to keep your cards close to your chest.
              I suspect that founder was just trying to get rid of the agent.

Comment

Originally posted by ResistanceFighter View Post
                a friend mentioned they had an interview request, but they were only hiring because they had been given a government grant.

One of the rules for that is that it could only be spent on "payroll and not contractors" so anybody who was hired had to go on payroll.

I'd not heard of this before - is it a thing? or just a way of cutting to the chase and saying "Inside or nothing"?
                Probably done so the money did not go to foreign corporations, and is used to employ a Brit.

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by ResistanceFighter View Post
                  a friend mentioned they had an interview request, but they were only hiring because they had been given a government grant.

One of the rules for that is that it could only be spent on "payroll and not contractors" so anybody who was hired had to go on payroll.

I'd not heard of this before - is it a thing? or just a way of cutting to the chase and saying "Inside or nothing"?
                  The more UK citizens working, the fewer are claiming - looks better for unemployment numbers. As a limited company contractor, you're simply in between contracts, you're not unemployed.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Well, nothing back from that agent. Lesson learned guys. I'm too proud to take a pay cut.

Comment

Lesson learned guys.
                      That's good to hear - its a tough market out there.

I'm too proud to take a pay cut.
                      Er, that didn't last long....

Comment

Working...
                      X