• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by perplexed View Post
    Choose any language? Cool, I'll use pseudo code. What is the point of string manipulation, tree traversal... how often do you write code explicitly doing that? If people are going to insist on those tulipty tests, at least use real world examples close to the work you'd be engaged to perform.
    Really? String manipulation is extremely common in almost everything. Curious what kind of background you have if you didn't share that experience.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
      Really? String manipulation is extremely common in almost everything. Curious what kind of background you have if you didn't share that experience.
      The problem with online tests is how do you give people something to do that doesn't take long and allows them to demonstrate what they can do.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        The problem with online tests is how do you give people something to do that doesn't take long and allows them to demonstrate what they can do.
        You could try talking with them and using your gut instinct.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
          It entirely depends what the string manipulation you're asked to show is... concatenating strings? Replacing characters in strings? Comparing strings? Formatting strings?

Those kinda things are ubiquitous but programming languages have facilities built in for those third party libraries also...

Comment

Originally posted by perplexed View Post
            It entirely depends what the string manipulation you're asked to show is... concatenating strings? Replacing characters in strings? Comparing strings? Formatting strings?

Those kinda things are ubiquitous but programming languages have facilities built in for those third party libraries also...
            Then there's G strings and quantum entanglement to consider.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
              Numbers might not play out, figures for FTC are quite different than any other type of contract. If you are fine with the permanent equivalent but spread out during the year... go for it. I really doubt it that they'd stump the different themselves.

You do carry the liability for the determination, unless you have it in written somewhere. (which I doubt it will come)
              I said I was happy to accept the gig inside or outside. The client says FTC but the agency is running it as outside ir35. How on earth does that work? Surely, that's not possible.

Comment

Originally posted by sira View Post
                I said I was happy to accept the gig inside or outside. The client says FTC but the agency is running it as outside ir35. How on earth does that work? Surely, that's not possible.
                FTC is outside the scope of IR35 as it’s a job. Just a job with an end date.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  Ask for github profile

Comment

Originally posted by founder View Post
                    Ask for github profile
                    what's github?

Comment

Originally posted by founder View Post
                      Ask for github profile
                      Fine if I'm looking for Devs (but in that case I will already know them). Not so good when I'm looking for functional consultants who should know how to configure and create low code solutions that meet the customers needs.

I'm going to have to write the tests myself...
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X