• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hgllgh View Post
    where have all the pimps gone? Applying like mad for a few days (quite a lot of perm too to test the waters) on multiple platforms... just a handful of calls! #ghosttown
    If my words are any comfort, here they are... First of all you should consider yourself lucky that you are even getting some calls.
    I have been applying too... have had no calls at all for the past 2 weeks. Earlier on at least there would be some calls by agents with their "fake jobs" to fish for info, but that has stopped as well now.

[Words of comfort, ends here!]

Hence I thought, maybe its because of my PDF version, but the DOCX version I now use to applying is not doing any help either (I did not expect any magic however).

There is one other problem too in the market I noticed (yes this issue was there always, but in the current pandemic its even more severe)... Many contractors who have taken up Inside Gigs or low rate gigs currently are also continuing to apply (fair enough for them!).... but that will mean the agents will go for them to get them an interview than the ones who have no gigs at present, since the other ones would be more valuable to present to customers.

I think if you have been waiting without gigs for months now, your career is done in contracting. There is going to be no chance to get any role going forward, and I have come to that realisation a while back + plus the fact that you won't be able to compete with other contractors who are currently on any gig who are also continuing to apply for roles, no matter how wonderful profile you have or gigs you have done until Covid hit.
    Last edited by CosmicWave; 9 September 2020, 14:10.

Comment

Originally posted by CosmicWave View Post
      If my words are any comfort, here they are...

.... if you have been waiting without gigs for months now, your career is done in contracting. There is going to be no chance to get any role going forward, .........
      Some cheery words indeed.

Many thanks.

Comment

Got one call today. Good rate. Posted it in the Contract Opportunities section.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
          Current gig are leaving it late to sort out a renewal however have sent out a email making it clear rates are being reviewed in light of contractors now having no travel and subsistence costs.
          Yes, I've found that I don't need to eat or drink since working from home.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
            Some cheery words indeed.

Many thanks.
            Hey, I only meant the first few lines as the "words of comfort" thing, not the rest of the paragraphs.. they were the reality check bits ... additional food for thought, so to speak.

Ok, let me update my post to make that clear!
            Last edited by CosmicWave; 9 September 2020, 14:11.

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post
              Must've sent around 15 applications over the weekend, all perm as at this point there's just no contracts in what I do. Absolutely nothing back, not even a single email or phone call and 90% of the roles I applied for were perfect fit.

I'm giving it two more weeks, if it stays like this (and I reckon it will as it seems to be getting worse than better), I'm packing and leaving the UK (after 13 years) :/
              Out of interest, which countries are any better?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by caffeine man View Post
                Out of interest, which countries are any better?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
                DE is picking up, but German language skills are mandatory. I suspect that yet again this is being used as a screen of UK contractors as business is worried about continuity after the end of the year.

Comment

There is one other problem too in the market I noticed (yes this issue was there always, but in the current pandemic its even more severe)... Many contractors who have taken up Inside Gigs or low rate gigs currently are also continuing to apply (fair enough for them!).... but that will mean the agents will go for them to get them an interview than the ones who have no gigs at present, since the other ones would be more valuable to present to customers.

I think if you have been waiting without gigs for months now, your career is done in contracting. There is going to be no chance to get any role going forward, and I have come to that realisation a while back + plus the fact that you won't be able to compete with other contractors who are currently on any gig who are also continuing to apply for roles, no matter how wonderful profile you have or gigs you have done until Covid hit.
                  Sadly yes, this. Same thing happened in one previous downturn. Cannot remember when it was, 2008 /09 maybe? Dearth of jobs about so phoning agents daily was a tedious thing.

At least one agent was honest and said if you wasnt in contract, you were unlikely to be put forward for a role because the agency was only taking up applications from those in contract.

It didnt dawned on them that all that did was result in a merry go round of agents poaching each others working contractors and every one they moved just created another vaccancy.

The longer you're benched in a downturn means it is exponentially harder to get off it. I managed to get off the bench by writing a targetted and specific email to agents. There was no pleading or sob story. Eventually one agent picked it up and I got off the bench when I was beginning to feel I was nailed to it!

Wouldnt surprise me if very soon we're not back to the times of contractors offering money to agents to secure them a role, if we arent there already!

Comment

The latest REC report on jobs was released today for the last couple of weeks in August. From what I could understand from it, the UK jobs market finally returned to growth, particulary temp work, though its still very bleak compared with normal market conditions.
                    It must have literally come out of the trough in those final weeks last month as the overall picture for demand in August was still down compared to the months before.

Linky

The problem with the report is that it is so high level, covering all of UK and all sectors, that trying to apply it to IT contracting or perm jobs is quite difficult.
                    e.g. Some parts of the country are still declining, whilst others are rising. And temp work was up everywhere, except in London.

YMMV

Comment

Hey, I only meant the first few lines as the "words of comfort" thing, not the rest of the paragraphs.. they were the reality check bits ... additional food for thought, so to speak.

Ok, let me update my post to make that clear!
                      No problem fella, was only muckin' abaht.

It's been a slow five months and now, on top of everything else, I have to accept I'm Done, and understand the only thing left for me is to stand outside the train station with a cup in my hand saying, Please give generously.
                      Last edited by simes; 9 September 2020, 19:17.

Comment

Working...
                      X