• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    I can't see the City returning to any form of normality until people start going back to offices en masse and that is probably spring next year at the earliest. Problem is when the City struggles it tends to take everything else down with it (certainly in London and the South East)
    It’s anyone’s guess. Some people think offices back in jan. Others think next sept for vaccine. Impossible to tell

The longer it goes on the harder it is to get people back and if your job can be done from your bedroom why can’t it be done from Poland or india. That is the real crisis

Comment

Originally posted by LondonPM1 View Post
      It’s anyone’s guess. Some people think offices back in jan. Others think next sept for vaccine. Impossible to tell

The longer it goes on the harder it is to get people back and if your job can be done from your bedroom why can’t it be done from Poland or india. That is the real crisis
      Office myth about people WFH slack off is well and truly blown, hence there will never be a mass going back to work ever !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
        Office myth about people WFH slack off is well and truly blown, hence there will never be a mass going back to work ever !!!

I dont agree with you - I find WFH to be not so effective and productive but each to their own

The problem here is we have had a calamity suddenly and everyone is trying to adapt - The job market is down but what about

Commercial property investors who are going to have their fingers burnt
        Restaurants . dry cleaners
        Even residential property in london is going to have a haircut

There will be resistance from VIs but no one know whether WFH permanently is going to continue

Comment

I suspect the future will be people doing two or three days in the office and the rest at home. Regardless we need to see footfall and confidence to return.

Plus I imagine a lot of borderline data security/GDPR breaches aren't being looked at too hard at the moment. That won't go on for ever.

Comment

I dont think it is well and truely blown because some people have and do take the piss.

I just think companies are prepared to turn a blind eye at the moment because of the 'pandemic' and bad publicity some would get supposedly forcing their workers to return.

Comment

Experience at our company is very good. Our departmental management was waxing lyrical about WfH. Management have noticed productivity improvements due to sick days being significantly down, which was pushing up revenue as it is a IT-Services/Consultancy company earning on the number of hours booked to the client. As result the company has stopped looking for new office space to save money, which means WfH is here to stay.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

I'm not convinced that once the pandemic is over everyone gets back to the office.

67% of Companies Expect Work From Home to Be Permanent or Long-Lasting
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by TheDogsNads View Post
                  I dont think it is well and truely blown because some people have and do take the piss.

I just think companies are prepared to turn a blind eye at the moment because of the 'pandemic' and bad publicity some would get supposedly forcing their workers to return.
                  I asked some of the people at clients workplace and they say a lot of people are slacking pretty hard. Just going offline for half or all day and then making excuses, it's happening quite a bit. Obviously they aren't managing the change well but i think thats probably a common experience.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDogsNads View Post

My current co has cancelled there office lease (3 floors hundreds of people) starting next June , already told everyone they can work from home forever

Some people paying £10-£15K just on commuting alone + 20 hour commuting are delighted, all the youngsters not form London have already moved back to the shires and saving £1200 a month in rent each

Company saving £1.4 million in office costs per year

Productivity up 30%

Feck the landlords in London and tFL and other city sandwich shops and pubs going bust

I live 10 mins from canary wharf it’s a ghost town

Comment

Company saving £1.4 million in office costs per year
                      Even if productivity was to fall initially surely they can manage this somehow and still make a killer saving on offices leases. This is why I don't get anyone thinking of pushing people back into the office.

Comment

Working...
                      X