• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dsc View Post
    Even if productivity was to fall initially surely they can manage this somehow and still make a killer saving on offices leases. This is why I don't get anyone thinking of pushing people back into the office.
    1.4 millio is the price of 15 people who each earn 70k after pension and employer ni

So they have saved 15 people but 300 people have 30% less productivity ??

I just don’t buy this whole wfh and I do think people will be back in the office once it is safe

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post
      Even if productivity was to fall initially surely they can manage this somehow and still make a killer saving on offices leases. This is why I don't get anyone thinking of pushing people back into the office.
      Remember what Tabera said productivity is often up but it does depend on where you are. Well paid workers probably have separate home offices that make working from home easier as without it its very hard work. I moved Mrs Eek into the spare room within hours of her working from home as you can't really work in a shared space and the dining room table is in the middle of the house.

Home working can be highly productive but you do need additional space to make it practical.

Going forward I see a great future in locally / community based workspaces that companies use for staff without the space to work from home but not until lock down ends..
      Last edited by eek; 21 September 2020, 07:04.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Sorry folks, busy week. I’d been out for about 7 weeks. When I went perm, the war chest changed format to help family and reduce mortgages (length and size thereof) as well as switching from two pcp vehicles to two bought outright that we were happy to run into the ground. Long term plan is looking promising compared to having to worry about whether I’ll be living away for six months at a time. The epiphany that hit me just over two years ago is now a reality.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

State of the Market

Originally posted by LondonPM1 View Post
          1.4 millio is the price of 15 people who each earn 70k after pension and employer ni

So they have saved 15 people but 300 people have 30% less productivity ??

I just don’t buy this whole wfh and I do think people will be back in the office once it is safe
          Its better for company because you can also get rid of cleaners, maintainance, canteen, car parking, security, etc

Average person in company is saving £7k commuting costs (largest was 22K) + 15 hours week commuting time each

Not going back to the old ways

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            Going forward I see a great future in locally / community based workspaces that companies use for staff without the space to work from home but not until lock down ends..
            ^^ Same.
            ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
            Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

UK stocks, RIP, thanks boris and WHO

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                My current co has cancelled there office lease (3 floors hundreds of people) starting next June , already told everyone they can work from home forever

Some people paying £10-£15K just on commuting alone + 20 hour commuting are delighted, all the youngsters not form London have already moved back to the shires and saving £1200 a month in rent each

Company saving £1.4 million in office costs per year

Productivity up 30%

Feck the landlords in London and tFL and other city sandwich shops and pubs going bust

I live 10 mins from canary wharf it’s a ghost town

such a selfish post, 1/5 of UK lives in London

Comment

Originally posted by founder View Post
                  And Russia. And China. And India. And Eastern Europe.

Very popular place, is London. A struggle if you only speak English, mind.
                  nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                    Its better for company because you can also get rid of cleaners, maintainance, canteen, car parking, security, etc

Average person in company is saving £7k commuting costs (largest was 22K) + 15 hours week commuting time each

Not going back to the old ways

So you are going to take a pay cut of 10K because you dont have after tax commute costs of 7k? Did not think so.

Comment

Originally posted by founder View Post
                      No it doesn't.

Comment

Working...
                      X