• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gove has recommended WFH again - my predictions are Furlough will be extended soon too. I'm currently debating a perm offer I have on the table to weather the storm (still in contract mind you - just nervous about SOTM come the winter months) until the next tax year but furlough keeps going maybe we won't see the massive downturn in jobs I was expecting...?

Comment

Originally posted by mattyb View Post
      Gove has recommended WFH again - my predictions are Furlough will be extended soon too. I'm currently debating a perm offer I have on the table to weather the storm (still in contract mind you - just nervous about SOTM come the winter months) until the next tax year but furlough keeps going maybe we won't see the massive downturn in jobs I was expecting...?
      anybody please do correct me if you think I am wrong, but I feel that furlough is just putting clients in a holding pattern and so they are not hiring or stringing people along.

I think it would be better for furlough to end, and force clients to take action?

Comment

Originally posted by ResistanceFighter View Post
        anybody please do correct me if you think I am wrong, but I feel that furlough is just putting clients in a holding pattern and so they are not hiring or stringing people along.

I think it would be better for furlough to end, and force clients to take action?
        There lies unemployment rates that could make the 1930's look pleasant.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ResistanceFighter View Post

You could be right actually, I suppose a firm decision one way or the other is needed for planning our next steps

Comment

Sodding tired...mandatory question in every job application: "Please state your salary requirements"

Comment

Been put forward for a couple of short contracts (3 and 5 months) so we'll see how these pan out.

The fact that government is endorsing (forcing almost) WFH makes things a bit better as I'm applying for roles all over the UK. When the pimp asks if I'm ready to be at client site when the situation goes back to normal I just lie and say yes. Who cares, the pandemic will be with us way longer than any contracts I'm applying for.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
                The fact that government is endorsing (forcing almost) WFH makes things a bit better as I'm applying for roles all over the UK.
                Why not all over, at least, Europe?

One or two hours time zone difference isn't going to make any difference. Expand the borders.

Comment

most of the recruiters I've spoken to either say the role is remote and are expecting for you to take a big cut for that or expect you not to ask too many questions and be comfortable with "wfh for now", on site soon.
                  So I say 55k is base for remote role, for on-site central London 75k base.

What I think there is a backdoor push by big corporate not to make people comfortable with wfh, hence the silent approach.

I've had 2 companies expecting to pay "up to 40k" for mid level python/generalist engineer. one big consultancy central London with same whoosh whoosh "remote for now" policy.
                  I'd rather pick strawberries or be another benefit scrounger than get burned out in one of those tulipholes.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
                    most of the recruiters I've spoken to either say the role is remote and are expecting for you to take a big cut for that or expect you not to ask too many questions and be comfortable with "wfh for now", on site soon.
                    So I say 55k is base for remote role, for on-site central London 75k base.

What I think there is a backdoor push by big corporate not to make people comfortable with wfh, hence the silent approach.

I've had 2 companies expecting to pay "up to 40k" for mid level python/generalist engineer. one big consultancy central London with same whoosh whoosh "remote for now" policy.
                    I'd rather pick strawberries or be another benefit scrounger than get burned out in one of those tulipholes.
                    I can believe it - I'm aware of consultancies charging out Senior consultants at £650 a day down from £1250 or so.

To them it's best to cover costs and keep going rather than making people redundant - and for £650 a day to work when recruiting others the salary would need to be appropriately lower (remember that the other fixed costs won't change much).
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by LondonPM1 View Post
                      40k for a mid level (you mean ten years experience?) in London for a consultancy ??

Are you for real
                      Yes, it's name starts with a C and is "up to 40k". expected travel to clients as well. When I expressed my indignance they said that there are plenty of candidates that are applying since most of them do not live in London. I did not bother to explain them that the role is in London. That was after first interview.

I don't know how they find me but I would guess it has to do with the fact that I am a "foreiner" and in their mind only one of those can potentially put up with something like this.
                      "Throw him some free t-shirts from time to time and he'll be glowing with happiness".
                      Last edited by GigiBronz; 22 September 2020, 12:44.

Comment

Working...
                      X