• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    I hear from my friend at Lloyd’s (yes my one friend) that 100% of the people that Lloydes converted to perms from contractors (pre Covid) have now been let go
    Your friend is wrong.

I left Lloyds at the end of last year, rather than go perm/FTC. The two contractors in my department who did go perm are both very much still there. I chatted with one of them just last week.

Comment

Originally posted by Amanensia View Post
      Your friend is wrong.

I left Lloyds at the end of last year, rather than go perm/FTC. The two contractors in my department who did go perm are both very much still there. I chatted with one of them just last week.
      Not this week then

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by CosmicWave View Post
        Unfortunate, isn't it.

More likely the pimp was selling to you a fake job, and he was tracking you for a few days/weeks with empty updates, to see if you end up getting on to something else and he can, in the guise of a chat / updates, check what other roles are going on in the market, so he can steal it.

I have had things like this happen to me too.

Those 3 bolded words go well together, don't they?
        I had exactly this with an agent last year. Took me by surprise because it was someone I had known almost 10 years and genuinely trusted but he totally tried to screw me over.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
          I had exactly this with an agent last year. Took me by surprise because it was someone I had known almost 10 years and genuinely trusted but he totally tried to screw me over.
          It's much easier to manipulate someone when you gain their trust first.

But it's business it's not a personal relationship. This relationship is about money, you should always expect whoever to try and manipulate you for their own financial gain.

It's always the ones who are nice to you that you need to watch out for.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
            It's much easier to manipulate someone when you gain their trust first.

But it's business it's not a personal relationship. This relationship is about money, you should always expect whoever to try and manipulate you for their own financial gain.

It's always the ones who are nice to you that you need to watch out for.
            It wasn't so much that I didn't expect him to be money orientated, his firm had actually been good to me in the past and placed me in a very tasty perm role 10 years ago. Without divulging too much, it was just the sheer cheek of it that was unexpected.

Comment

Feck me !!!

Well that was a long 18 months, out for various reasons. Then 6 weeks ago was offered a nice role back as BA 5 miles from home, but WFH for now, only just got confirmation to start on Monday. Then an ex-client phones this morning saying "how about a Monday start, but it's only a TA role, again WFH. Similar rates and 6 month length.

Comment

Originally posted by anonymouse View Post
                Well that was a long 18 months, out for various reasons. Then 6 weeks ago was offered a nice role back as BA 5 miles from home, but WFH for now, only just got confirmation to start on Monday. Then an ex-client phones this morning saying "how about a Monday start, but it's only a TA role, again WFH. Similar rates and 6 month length.
                Double bubble

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by anonymouse View Post

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                    I am in canary wharf for lunch right now (live 10 mins walk away, but fancied a Indian wrap today) it’s like 20% capacity as per normal

So that’s about 200K people missing all not paying a combined £1.5billion per month in commuting costs

[/url]
                    I would imagine yesterday's announcements sounded the death knell for London.

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
                    I used to travel from Bham to Canary Wharf for many years. I start at 06:00 AM and reach Canary Wharf by 08:50 ish. To me this pandemic appears to be a blessing in disguise. It has saved me £1100 a month + 5-6 hours of useless commute per day.
                    I've always had a sizeable commute so have always welcomed the opportunity to WFH. Now seeing it from a different perspective as we are the grist to the mill of all those city businesses that are teetering on the brink of extinction - sandwich shops, restaurants, pubs, news stands - you name it.

There's part of me looking forward to a long daily schlep because it will mean we are back to normal and, my God, it's a long time coming.

Comment

Originally posted by The Bona Fide View Post
                      I would imagine yesterday's announcements sounded the death knell for London.

I've always had a sizeable commute so have always welcomed the opportunity to WFH. Now seeing it from a different perspective as we are the grist to the mill of all those city businesses that are teetering on the brink of extinction - sandwich shops, restaurants, pubs, news stands - you name it.

There's part of me looking forward to a long daily schlep because it will mean we are back to normal and, my God, it's a long time coming.
                      Mrs OG goes in to Dublin city centre twice a week for work and it's a ghost town. Loads of coffee shops and similar closed down.

Comment

Working...
                      X