• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
    Just go the email. Back to bench from 5th Oct. Projects are getting canned everywhere.

It's not strictly 4 weeks notice as agreed but that's ok, I am fine with it.
    You doing anything to do with looker/databricks ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
      You doing anything to do with looker/databricks ?
      In addition to many, I also work on Databricks but not exclusively. I haven't used Looker yet.

Comment

The bottom feeders are starting to come back..

I received a voicemail the other day:

"Hi CS, its Alex here, we've spoken before.
        I'm keen to find out what you're current doing as my client in London has a role I think you're a good fit for
        Please give me a call back on my number. Its 07..."

The next morning I call them back telling them I received their voicemail:

"Oh Hi CS, can I put you on hold for a second?
        (puts me on hold whilst they rifle through looking for my CV)
        thanks for holding, we've never spoken before...
        My client in London is looking for... blah blah blah blah... " (goes nowhere)

I've sort of missed these stupid sorts of calls during the quiet pandemic months..

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
          Presumably, you Have taken both roles. And you Will make them just work?

If so, congrats x 2.
          I'm working on it Delayed start dates and WFH, trying to get paid for results not by the hour, so defining SoW on Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by CosmicWave View Post
            Any good news, new contract / perm sorted out for any of you guys?

Mine is 6-months in bench as of tomorrow!

Absolute silence in the market, no calls whatsoever so far in the past few weeks certainly.

Having said that, I am getting slowly busy with my own plan B business and turning it into my mainstream.

It will take time of course to make it profitable... so it has kind-of become meaningless now to say I am in bench, when I think about it in a positive way, and it makes me move on in life and not to about contracts/jobs in the future.
            Yeah I got a decent permie position in which I start Monday. Pay is good, benefits are good, and WFH looks like it'll go for awhile. Job is likely to be a bit boring, but hey but maybe I can clear my plate in two days and have the rest of the week to work on my own stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Katalyst View Post
              Yeah I got a decent permie position in which I start Monday. Pay is good, benefits are good, and WFH looks like it'll go for awhile. Job is likely to be a bit boring, but hey but maybe I can clear my plate in two days and have the rest of the week to work on my own stuff.
              That's the way to think. What's the minimum you can do there, skill up, start a side hustle, look for contracts in the background, all whilst having an income and paying down any debt etc etc.
              First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Intec Select are on their spree Once again to waste time of people with their Same 650/day 100% remote outside IR35 roles

Just beware of those fake ads specifically.

Just noticed it now, and wanted to heads-up for others who might fall for them.

If you do fall for it, typically You will go through a lady first (her name is in the ads in jobserve) who fronts a guy from intec select who is her team leader apparently.... Both are fakers / fraud... With no such contract roles for you.

Take care.
                Last edited by CosmicWave; 23 September 2020, 20:42.

Comment

The exact same contract ad has been posted by about 10 agencies now

Recession does bring out the worst among receuiters.
                  Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

I got renewed last month until the end of the year, taking a small hit on the day rate.

Although the end client is rapidly recruiting permies to replace all contractors, so its probably 50/50 whether it will last that long.

Sent from my iPad using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

I turned down a rec with a position of £400 pd, I wont play the clients cheap game. I'd rather build a few startups with my time and warchest.

Comment

Working...
                      X