• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at the Jobserve price list, you've got to wonder how those fake adverts pay?

JobServe Product Price List

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      Looking at the Jobserve price list, you've got to wonder how those fake adverts pay?

That's interesting. I personally think there isn't so many fake jobs on Jobserve as there used to be - which partially explains why volumes have reduced over the years - but there does seem a lot of jobs on LinkedIn that quite literally are always there and never seem to close.

I do wonder how the fake job/harvest CVs for job leads business model is sustainable, especially at the moment when very few people are recruiting.

Comment

Big agencies only pay £10 per job ad & already have it budgeted so they are just using their quota up when they post fake job ads!!

Comment

State of it

OK the state of the market.

Had 2 Job offers one was 'it's all good you have the contract congrats go have a beer enjoy your weekend' ---> one weeks silence followed by persistent chasing until an admission nothing is happening till End of Sep. (which hasn't happened)
          Other one the same just stopped calling me back on start dates.

Failed one interview

Quite a few 'i have this role but it's a secret can i have your proposed day rate and ill see if we can get you in there'

For tips i only use Jobserve at the mo for IT work should i hammer particular agencies or other places too>? Never had this problem in the past but i haven't had to for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
            Big agencies only pay £10 per job ad & already have it budgeted so they are just using their quota up when they post fake job ads!!
            It's also the cost of training the new starters. They get to practice stringing together buzzwords and other general bulltulip when posting the fake ads. I also wonder if they use the number of ads to promote to hiring clients that it is a competitive market and therefore keep rates up to the agency. Who then phone contractors who are told the market is on its arse and to accept the lowest offer possible.

All part of the game to keep them in business.
            First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
              It's also the cost of training the new starters. They get to practice stringing together buzzwords and other general bulltulip when posting the fake ads. I also wonder if they use the number of ads to promote to hiring clients that it is a competitive market and therefore keep rates up to the agency. Who then phone contractors who are told the market is on its arse and to accept the lowest offer possible.

All part of the game to keep them in business.
              Sounds plausible.

Or they could use GPT-3 AI to write fake job ads. No one will notice the difference in the tulip...

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

That price list is for the random off the road bloke who wants to place an ad for his company. Recruitment agencies have a long running contract allowing them cheap as chips job placements. If fake adverts were going to cost balls, jobserve would be almost dead.
                Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
                  Or the agent had negotiated an inclusive day rate of £400 plus £x with the client and decided to chance their arm and see if he could gain £100 more margin.
                  ... ffs, I just hate this agency model so much... what percentage of agents are realistically pulling stunts like this?

Comment

Originally posted by hgllgh View Post
                    ... ffs, I just hate this agency model so much... what percentage of agents are realistically pulling stunts like this?
                    Any and all of them when the end clients isn't clever or big enough to insist on fixed margins
                    Last edited by eek; 28 September 2020, 16:52.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

The new Boris Johnson boot camps will add to the pool of people looking for tech work

"Boot camps are employer-led, short, flexible training courses for adults, linked to guaranteed interviews and tailored to meet business and economic demand across the country. The first phase of boot camps will start over the next few weeks in the West Midlands, Greater Manchester, Lancashire and Liverpool with digital courses such as cloud services, full stack, digital for advanced manufacturing and cyber security. Some of these courses will be aimed at specific groups such as a Women in Tech course.

The second phase of boot camps will be trialled in West Yorkshire, the South West and Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire.“

Comment

Working...
                      X