• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sira View Post
    A job I applied for 3 months ago, only just invited me for an interview. Not bad, not bad at all...
    I once applied for a perm ERP Consultant job at Oracle. I got a reply from them inviting me to an interview - almost 9 months after i joined their main competitor, SAP!

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
      It has been a ride, to be sure.

But, the contract for the first role is now signed for a contract to start 1st October. And, the second role is also progressing. This last probably to start mid October. Both Outside IR35.

Both these contracts are through past contacts. Applying via Jobserve has elicited zero response.

Very pleased for you!

Having decent contacts has always been key. I've had very little work from job boards, although I do still trawl through them when I'm nearing the end of a contract as it would be daft not to.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
        It has been a ride, to be sure.

But, the contract for the first role is now signed for a contract to start 1st October. And, the second role is also progressing. This last probably to start mid October. Both Outside IR35.

Both these contracts are through past contacts. Applying via Jobserve has elicited zero response.
        Contacts are the way to go. Delighted for you. Best of luck.

Comment

Seems to have improved slightly but rates are down, somewhat.

qh
          He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Currently in contract for another 8 weeks been told no chance of an extension but there is a perm offer being tabled.

Offer isn't very good but the role is varied and gives some great exposure to some great technologies but looks like it will be stressful.

So same dilemma as everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post

qh
              I've noticed that too.

Contract market is showing some signs of life BUT a lot of contracts I see are short, 3 months contracts. Companies don't seem too optimistic about the future. Covid/Brexit effect I suppose.

On the other hand, permanent roles are still there but the salaries are slightly lower than 12 months ago, like that's the price you need to pay to get the "certainty" of a permie role.

Anyways, in this climate, I've managed to get 2 interviews lined up, one for a contract and one for a permanent role.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post

qh
                I've had a few conversations recently where I was told the client had outright dropped the rate because they know people are desperate. And when I say dropped, I mean ~£150 below where it should be.

Hopefully those pricks will get burned the second the market picks up and they lose all their contractors who are only there due to desperation.

Comment

I said yes to be put forward for a gig that is a fair bit less than my normal day rate, but it is what I enjoy doing, so fingers crossed something comes of it.

I suppose one plus of contracting remote/WFH is that you don't have to take only one gig at a time.

qh
                  He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by coolhandluke View Post
                    Currently in contract for another 8 weeks been told no chance of an extension but there is a perm offer being tabled.

Offer isn't very good but the role is varied and gives some great exposure to some great technologies but looks like it will be stressful.

So same dilemma as everyone else.
                    Be careful as moving from contract to perm in the same role is an IR35 siren alert...

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
                      Be careful as moving from contract to perm in the same role is an IR35 siren alert...
                      Yeap fully aware! It's one of the negatives on my list.

I go from thinking just accept the role, skill up and take a look at contracting again in 12 months to know your worth and ask for a higher salary and be prepared to walk.

I'm seeing quite a few jobs being posted on the usual sites but the number of applicants seems to be very high. I know that approx 175 applied for my current role.

Comment

Working...
                      X