• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Bona Fide View Post
    I'm going to be out of contract come the end of November.

Do we foresee any upturn in the near future?

I've just had a message in my inbox form Robert Half Associates inviting me to partake in a "working interview" so things must be bad.

I always used to turn them down in the past, even when desperate.

Normal format is face to face with agent then you go and do a day's work for one of their clients at an agreed day rate. Then you never hear from them again.

Easy way to earn £500 I guess & I suppose all that is a lot less complicated given that it all presumably happens online.
    If it's paid, not sure why you wouldn't take it? Even in good times that doesn't seem like an unreasonable ask from the client.

I'd prefer a working interview to a traditional competency based interview.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
      If it's paid, not sure why you wouldn't take it? Even in good times that doesn't seem like an unreasonable ask from the client.

I'd prefer a working interview to a traditional competency based interview.
      It was the travelling to a city centre location for the face to face with the agent that put me off. I don't even know how genuine these opportunities were.

Comment

Originally posted by The Bona Fide View Post
        It was the travelling to a city centre location for the face to face with the agent that put me off. I don't even know how genuine these opportunities were.
        Oh yeah that's a little crazy I haven't met an agent face to face for a contract role for years. Usually it's just a phone call then direct meet with client, not sure what it's like in other industries.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
          Oh yeah that's a little crazy I haven't met an agent face to face for a contract role for years. Usually it's just a phone call then direct meet with client, not sure what it's like in other industries.
          Same, haven't met an agent face to face in years. Did it only once when I was younger and didn't know any better but realised after 2 minutes how useless it was.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
            Same, haven't met an agent face to face in years. Did it only once when I was younger and didn't know any better but realised after 2 minutes how useless it was.
            I'm happy to meet agents if food and drink are involved - usually there is because I'm happy to spend the hour getting newbie agents up to speed on basic technologies in my industry - so they can weed out the real no hopers.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
              Client is seriously considering keeping me and is looking at various projects where they can fit me in. I think 3 factors are making this happen.

1. Flexibility - I didn't whine when the notice period was short
              2. Skillset - Exaggerated through my recent certifications
              3. Rate - Not too high or low. Just 10% - 15% less than pre-covid rates.

So there is light at the end of this week!
              Client has found a project to keep me in. Never performed this new SA Role but said Yes any way.

Agent approached me for a rate cut. But I stood my ground and said I would only continue if the rate remains the same. That he should be happy that I haven't asked for an increase .

Hoping to get the final confirmation by EOD or early next week.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
                Never heard of this before... Are these common?
                I'd only do them if I got paid for them. Had two as a contractor, got paid for both.
                Told them good luck with the first one and stated my price (inflated to hospital pass rates) and the second one they offered me a 3-month contract at the end of the first day.

Half the time, it's when you're the best candidate and they're too busy fire-fighting to interview. Easier to see if you are the sort who can hit the ground running and if you are, they take you on, if not, they've burned £300 instead of hours on interviews and paperwork.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

If they are paying you for the day, even if it is less than your rate, it is probably a fairly good indicator they are serious.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    I'd only do them if I got paid for them. Had two as a contractor, got paid for both.
                    Told them good luck with the first one and stated my price (inflated to hospital pass rates) and the second one they offered me a 3-month contract at the end of the first day.

Half the time, it's when you're the best candidate and they're too busy fire-fighting to interview. Easier to see if you are the sort who can hit the ground running and if you are, they take you on, if not, they've burned £300 instead of hours on interviews and paperwork.
                    Giving what we are currently talking about - take 30 seconds and sign Ban all unpaid work trial periods - Petitions so the rules are clear.

I like the idea of giving people work trials I also believe they should be paid or get something from them.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                      Giving what we are currently talking about - take 30 seconds and sign Ban all unpaid work trial periods - Petitions so the rules are clear.

I like the idea of giving people work trials I also believe they should be paid or get something from them.
                      signed

Comment

Working...
                      X