• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Bona Fide View Post
    Maarning all,

Interesting one in my inbox this morning - c# asp.net programmer, Havant £200 pd, non-smokers only.

Are they allowed to do that? Sounds discriminatory to me.
    I don't think it's a criteria in the equal opportunities act you would be using to justify your claim. In fact you could probably argue the opposite in a tribunal - we don't want smokers as it impacts others with allergies and breathing issues.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      I don't think it's a criteria in the equal opportunities act you would be using to justify your claim. In fact you could probably argue the opposite in a tribunal - we don't want smokers as it impacts others with allergies and breathing issues.
      I doubt the Equality Act could be used. Unless there's a very tenuous argument to be made that it' indirect discrimination against people with smoking related illnesses. Good luck with that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        I doubt the Equality Act could be used. Unless there's a very tenuous argument to be made that it' indirect discrimination against people with smoking related illnesses. Good luck with that one.
        That was my point - Smoking is probably a perfectly valid criteria for ruling someone out of a job...

Now you probably could have had a case in the 1940s when Capstan Full Strength was often recommended for people with lung diseases but once smoking was discovered to kill you it probably hasn't worked since.
        Last edited by eek; 5 October 2020, 09:20.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Tough to afford cigarettes on that rate.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            That was my point - I believe it's a perfectly valid criteria for ruling someone out of the job...
            I'm not sure I agree, but I expect it's perfectly legal.

If it's OK as a selection criterion, is it OK as a condition of continuing employment?
            Last edited by Old Greg; 5 October 2020, 09:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Amanensia View Post
              Tough to afford cigarettes on that rate.
              I dread to think of the cost of 20 Marlboro Lights these days. Pushing a tenner, no doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
                I still don’t understand how people put up with it. A lot of them struggle with anxiety and mental health issue while working a job that doesn’t bring them any satisfaction, they barely afford the rent in a dump humid place and their idea of good food is an overpriced meal at the local pub.
                They’ll never afford to live where they work and they rack up debt every day to buy things they don’t need or go on holidays they barely enjoy.
                Only to fill the gap in their soul that gives them the impression that their life is going somewhere.
                A lot of them although highly educated on paper are functiong idiots.
                If you work on 70k in central London, put 10h per day, be stressed out evey day and only manage to save 6k/year. Is it really worth it?
                One of my best pals:

- has got a permie job that pays 90k basic with good benefits so not too bad at all
                - his wife does not work
                - they have a kid
                - he complains about London cost of life every time we speak over the phone
                - he just bought a 500k tiny wee house in the suburbs hours away from the City

and....drumrolll...

- his work is 100% remote and so it has been for the last 5 years

I'll never understand him but I think he makes all the money but doesn't run the show

Comment

Whats your point PCTNN - That 90K in london is not much at all or something else?

Whats 90 after tax ? 5K ish?? Hardly much is it

Suppose mortgage and utils are 3K - What does that leave you

Comment

Originally posted by The Bona Fide View Post
                    Maarning all,

Interesting one in my inbox this morning - c# asp.net programmer, Havant £200 pd, non-smokers only.

Are they allowed to do that? Sounds discriminatory to me.
                    Possibly an implication that smokers sneak off several times an hour and are less productive.

Reminds me of something I heard on the radio over the weekend. One chap was saying how there's a room in his house where he goes to smoke and sometimes he'll have a remote meeting while in there so he can have a ciggie at the same time. He was on a call with a few people from the council and the council leader had a smoke during the meeting. There was heaps of pious outrage over this and the council leader felt they had to apologise! For smoking in their own home. Absolutely nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                      Possibly an implication that smokers sneak off several times an hour and are less productive.

Reminds me of something I heard on the radio over the weekend. One chap was saying how there's a room in his house where he goes to smoke and sometimes he'll have a remote meeting while in there so he can have a ciggie at the same time. He was on a call with a few people from the council and the council leader had a smoke during the meeting. There was heaps of pious outrage over this and the council leader felt they had to apologise! For smoking in their own home. Absolutely nuts.
                      One council (I think Hammersmith) has actually banned its WFH workers from smoking at home. How on earth they police this, I don't know. Anyhow, I read it in the Mail

Comment

Working...
                      X