• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree that gaps have never been a problem. However, if you think they are, remove months completely from the CV and/or put YourCo projects on the CV to fill any gaps.
    Last edited by fidot; 6 October 2020, 15:17.

Comment

Never falsify gaps - screening is too tight these days. They grumbled because I didn't know my exact graduation day (neither did the university when they checked with them, but never mind!!!).

As long as you can explain your gaps, it's not a problem. If people are worried about gaps in 2020 then they need to give their head a wobble.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        Never falsify gaps - screening is too tight these days. They grumbled because I didn't know my exact graduation day (neither did the university when they checked with them, but never mind!!!).

As long as you can explain your gaps, it's not a problem. If people are worried about gaps in 2020 then they need to give their head a wobble.
        +1. This should suffice:

2019 - 2020 Chillin'

Comment

+1..it can be a worry though for some contractors, but I've spoken to a few agents on this particular issue, & they have said that clients are 'very understanding' in this regard due to the current 'situation'.
          Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
            +1..it can be a worry though for some contractors, but I've spoken to a few agents on this particular issue, & they have said that clients are 'very understanding' in this regard due to the current 'situation'.
            I wouldn’t believe them or the client. This is just corporate mumbo jumbo

Comment

You never have an exact graduation day though so that's an odd request.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
                It brightened for a bit then went south like an excel spreadsheet from 2007.

None of the f**kers (pimps) even bothering to acknowledge they have your CV.

Tedious, all very tedious.

qh
                I've noticed the market seems to have plunged again since Gove told people to WFH and Boris told everyone to expect more lockdowns etc for the next 6 months.
                I think this was another clear 'signal' to the CFO / FDs and other bean counters in certain sectors.

There also seems to be a direct correlation between agents WFH and lack of phone calls. Its like they need to be physically in a call centre in order to function properly (under the watchful eye of a micromanaging boss?).

Comment

"Holiday on the cheap" - been there, done that when I was much younger and didn't have the money but needed some time away. If you go self-catering, you can still choose whether to holiday on the cheap or not. Literally self-cater - do your normal weekly shop instead of eating out, don't do the expensive tourist things, walk more, etc

However, I do agree with the 12 month gap. What a 'kin diva. Why let your pot dwindle far more than you have to? Your most recent rate is nothing to do with your current application, your rate that you've asked for is. Drop to a cheap one to "break even" and it means your pot isn't emptying. You as a shareholder of your co should be doing your best by it.
                  Yeah maybe holiday is the wrong word?!? I am not british so not sure what you guys would say but go somewhere warm and cheap like portugal, greece, turkey and rent a flat for 6 months or a year. You can get a decent 2 bed flat near the beach in turkey for like 300-350 pounds a month right now. I don't mean literally go stay in a resort for a year. Do some certs or upskill in some way. Sure you won't break even but I don't break even if I work a perm job at 40k. I am living in london I will lose money, probably similar to the amount I would spend if I would live as mentioned without working. Obviously if you have a mortgage and can't let out your place it might not be the case for everyone but its a solid option for those that can.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    You never have an exact graduation day though so that's an odd request.
                    I assume it meant "date the degree certificate was signed/issued" rather than date of graduation ceremony, which was some day in July 96 but they wanted a June date!
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I assume it meant "date the degree certificate was signed/issued" rather than date of graduation ceremony, which was some day in July 96 but they wanted a June date!
                      Degree certificates are issued and posted to you months after you get your result from your department so their request still doesn't make sense.

Anyway none of my screenings have gone back that far since I was in my 20s when one was a bit weird as I couldn't remember my exact school/college term dates. They wanted to know what I was doing in the month between doing GCSEs and starting A levels. I just pointed out that as the government uses the academic year to do benefits for children their request was extremely odd.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X