• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a couple of approaches for Head of Digital type roles for two councils. There seems to be more activity in the public sector at the moment, including education and central government agencies.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      Seems to be picking up out there.

4 roles offered to me in the last 24 hours.
      2x via a contractor I've worked with before
      1x via agent I've worked with before
      1x via agency I've never worked through before, but I know the role and I'm not suitable as I don't speak Dutch.

All at reasonable rates.
      Shame that 2 of the people I would recommend are currently working with me and the other guy I'd suggest is busy on a former client.
      I'm sensing that too, had a chat this morning about one (pub sec - outside IR35) which I've mentioned in another thread.

Last week re; 2x separate roles, both outside, and remote for the foreseeable. Came to nought though as the clients were being really strict on requirements, so if you weren't 100% as per the advert, & recent experience in 'x', then it was adios and no thank you.

1x further role, but inside for which I'm still in the pending file with the agent shortlisting.

So in general, this & last week has picked up. Not guaranteed to be the same next week however. Seems to be peaks n troughs.
      Last edited by SteelyDan; 20 October 2020, 12:46.
      Clarity is everything

Comment

I have had conversations about roles that, even if I do say so myself, sound perfect for but not even sure I got put forward for.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
          Had a couple of approaches for Head of Digital type roles for two councils. There seems to be more activity in the public sector at the moment, including education and central government agencies.
          Seeing loads of activity in the public sector at the moment

Almost as if they're keen to be seen to be using all their budgets incase any are about to be revised downward...
          ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

My lack of SC seems to stop me doing anything in the Public Sector at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
              So in general, this & last week has picked up. Not guaranteed to be the same next week however. Seems to be peaks n troughs.
              This has definitely been the theme for the last few months. Usually a short shart flurry of calls, followed by deafening silence.

However this pattern has changed and I've noticed a more sustained pick up in activity over the last 2-3 weeks. Never been so busy fielding calls and responding to agents or clients. I think it was due to government giving business certainty that we have 6 more months of lockdowns and to continue WFH for time being. I just hope it continues so we can clear the bench and be busy during the coming winter. Lastly the low-balling of rates we've seen lately is just obscene and needs to be reversed.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                This has definitely been the theme for the last few months. Usually a short shart flurry of calls, followed by deafening silence.

However this pattern has changed and I've noticed a more sustained pick up in activity over the last 2-3 weeks. Never been so busy fielding calls and responding to agents or clients. I think it was due to government giving business certainty that we have 6 more months of lockdowns and to continue WFH for time being. I just hope it continues so we can clear the bench and be busy during the coming winter. Lastly the low-balling of rates we've seen lately is just obscene and needs to be reversed.
                I think the roles are coming, sporadically, but the rates are suffering a little tbf. It's a buyers market at the mo with no real flex to push against.
                Clarity is everything

Comment

whats the lowest perm salary you guys would take?

Comment

Originally posted by founder View Post
                    whats the lowest perm salary you guys would take?
                    This might sound a bit cocky, but given what a small world I operate in and how long I'd have to put up with being perm so as not to burn any bridges it's pointless me taking a perm role with a take home much less than my contractor take home until my warchest starts getting low.

So right now, I'd need a perm salary which gives me pretty much contractor income. Not impossible, it'd just need a bit of a step up in terms of effort and responsibilities.

If I start running out of money, well I'd have to take whatever I could to pay the bills!

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
                      Seeing loads of activity in the public sector at the moment

Almost as if they're keen to be seen to be using all their budgets incase any are about to be revised downward...
                      Maybe. A lot of councils in particular will be challenged to make significant savings soon due to the overspend on dealing with Covid.

Comment

Working...
                      X