• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

advice on leaving perm job

Started a perm role week ago and realise i can't do it. Promised of wfh but now they require me to be in the office few times a week and the general attitude. Can i just give my week notice and leave ? Do i need to give a reason for leaving ? I can't think of any except not liking the fuss, appraisals etc etc
    I want to know if anyone has done it before and how they handled the agency and the employer.

Comment

Originally posted by bees2020 View Post
      Started a perm role week ago and realise i can't do it. Promised of wfh but now they require me to be in the office few times a week and the general attitude. Can i just give my week notice and leave ? Do i need to give a reason for leaving ? I can't think of any except not liking the fuss, appraisals etc etc
      I want to know if anyone has done it before and how they handled the agency and the employer.
      I honestly don’t know but I think a few on here would be curious about the salary of such a job that you just want to bin especially in this enviroment. Some posts here talking about 30k perm for a senior role which does make one wonder

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
        I honestly don’t know but I think a few on here would be curious about the salary of such a job that you just want to bin especially in this enviroment. Some posts here talking about 30k perm for a senior role which does make one wonder
        I had a 3 month contract offer together with a perm offer. Decided to go for perm since the contract was for 3 months. I have the option to take the contract. The pay is not as bad as it's portrayed. It's a decent pay for a senior role ( role advertised for 70-75K)

Comment

Yes you can quit, of course you can. The whole point of a probation period is for you to try out the company just as much as they're checking you out.

Before you do quit, consider:
          - if they made changes, would you stay? What changes are must haves and nice to haves?
          - what opportunities are there in your line of work? If you need the income, can you stick it out long enough to find another job?

Be honest but professional when asked to explain your reasons for leaving. There's always a spin you can put on these things. This ties in with the changes point above as they may offer that to encourage you to stay.

Comment

Yeah just give notice. Do it in writing. You don't technically have to give a reason but it's expected for you to tell them why in a perm job. Be general in your letter/email can always be more specific in person.

If it's perm you have no more relationship with the recruiter anymore so dont worry about them. They may call you to try to get you to stay so they can get their full commission but you don't owe them anything, it's just business.

But as everyone has said think long and hard about whether you should do this right now.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              Yes you can quit, of course you can. The whole point of a probation period is for you to try out the company just as much as they're checking you out.

Before you do quit, consider:
              - if they made changes, would you stay? What changes are must haves and nice to haves?
              - what opportunities are there in your line of work? If you need the income, can you stick it out long enough to find another job?

Be honest but professional when asked to explain your reasons for leaving. There's always a spin you can put on these things. This ties in with the changes point above as they may offer that to encourage you to stay.
              Thank you. I'll have a good think about it

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
                And the answer would be

"I have been blessed by having the opportunity to add real value to many significant clients working on projects which truly excite me - This has taught me a tremendous amount - I am now at my stage in life where I want to contribute to the culture management and decisions made on making THIS organisation better then all of your competitors."

I dont think this is the hard part frankly - I think the hard part is being able to find a job that *pays* what you expect - a few posts up talking about 100k++ - Those figures are not far from where I am and I cant find anything at that level .
                I don't think I could lie to myself, let alone to others, in that manner. In fact, that statement just wants to make me vomit.
                That said, it's probably the sort of cr*p that the organisation wants to hear...but they wouldn't hear it from me.
                Last edited by SteelyDan; 22 October 2020, 10:16.
                Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
                  I don't think I could lie to myself, let alone to others, in that manner. In fact, that statement just wants to make me vomit.
                  That said, it's probably the sort of cr*p that the organisation wants to hear...but they wouldn't hear it from me.
                  If this is the song they want to hear then I will sing them this lullaby - Theres an english expression isnt there that the person paying chooses the music no?

Anyway some non IT state of market

Subscribe to read | Financial Times

US group Kirkland & Ellis — the highest grossing law firm in the world with revenue of $4.15bn last year — leads the way in paying its junior lawyers £142,000 a year at the current exchange rate.

Investment banking graduates with an MBA can expect to earn base salaries below £100,000, according to two banking executives, though remuneration for more experienced roles is likely to be much higher.

New York-based White & Case this month announced pay for newly qualified lawyers in London would be increased by £25,000 to £130,000, starting from January. Lawyers with two-years of experience will receive a £30,000 rise.

Comment

I once started a company and realised on day one it was no good, as they wanted to send me to a client that wasn't local. I just simply asked for a cancellation agreement without salary. That way I left on good terms.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
                      Lol I'd never be able to tell that sort of overly elaborated and majestic crappy lie. Nobody would buy it.

So far I've leaned towards an exaggerated version of the truth and it's been well received and got me through to a couple of interviews: I just say contractors are often under-valued, under-appreciated and permies don't always like us/want to work with us (which is the truth, at least in my personal experience) Then I say that I'm ready to take on more leadership roles to have bigger impact/think about the bigger picture and that's why I want to become a permie (this is the lie part, but I find it easier to keep a straight face because I started with the truth first )

Comment

Working...
                      X