• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    That probably just says more about your clients' opinion of you...

My last stint at Barclays was 100% WFH and I only went to the Wharf if there was a social reason either at lunch or after work.
    +1 - the last few clients were very happy for me to wfh unless I needed to be there. Sadly in the case of the last MS client I needed to be in blooming Sofia all the time as nothing was done unless you physically watched over both the client and the local partner.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      That probably just says more about your clients' opinion of you...

My last stint at Barclays was 100% WFH and I only went to the Wharf if there was a social reason either at lunch or after work.
      +1. I had the same experience with Barclays. They had no problem with WFH. In fact at HSBC next building, contractors were WFH more than 2 days in a week due to space shortage and hot desk policy.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
        Was WFH that important to you? I guess not? Or was the money that banking clients offered good enough that you would look past it?
        Nature of the job would be my expectation. I know people (permie) in HSBC who are hating WFH as he can't escape from the stupid nor rant about it to others.

Comment

IT Director contract £350/day inside IR35

I know it's public sector but this is probably half the going rate for such an IT Director role. It's not even the money, but who would want all this stress for £350/day inside IR35?

Northampton, Northamptonshire - £350 - £375 per Day
          Contract
          Posted by: Access Computer Consulting Plc
          • I am recruiting for an IT Director to be based in Northampton. Candidates must be fully mobile and have their own transport.
          • This role falls inside IR35 so you must work through an umbrella company for the duration of the contract. The rate quoted is the take home pay after all deductions.
          • Candidates must have local or central government experience.
          • You will be responsible for the development and implementation of a robust and innovative IT & Digital strategy.
          • You will have experience of transforming IT and Digital Services, reshaping the people and resources to deliver the strategy.
          • You will lead and develop the client and Customers Business and ERP systems to ensure delivery and future development of self-service.
          • You must have experience of the delivery of efficient and effective management of all aspects of IT operations, Digital, IT programmes of work, IT commercial contracts & supplier relationships and IT Service delivery teams.
          • You must have knowledge of the frameworks and processes required to lead IT service delivery and have a proven track record of operating at IT Service Leadership level with large-scale complex operational outcomes.

Comment

There is a killer line in there that shows you the problem with that rate and the current umbrella and agency market - no one has a clue how to legally define the rate that is going to be paid and so the rate you receive.

The rate quoted is the take home pay after all deductions.

So is that what you get in the bank after income tax has been paid or something else?

It's almost as if someone needs to define the rate an agency pays an umbrella and then explain it to people...

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
              Not all roles in the public sector need security clearance. I can't imagine it is a requirement to work in further education, local government or the NHS for example?
              Some nhs roles do

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                There is a killer line in there that shows you the problem with that rate and the current umbrella and agency market - no one has a clue how to legally define the rate that is going to be paid and so the rate you receive.

The rate quoted is the take home pay after all deductions.

So is that what you get in the bank after income tax has been paid or something else?

It's almost as if someone needs to define the rate an agency pays an umbrella and then explain it to people...
                I wonder if they'd honour that if you maxed out your pension contributions. It does say all deductions

Interesting that they noted that however, so the actual day rate (in the traditional sense) is a bit higher. I wonder what tax rate(s)/tax codes they used to determine that figure.
                Last edited by Paralytic; 29 October 2020, 10:54.

Comment

The way i read this job ad is all deductions means recruitment fees - Obviously not tax or pension or anything else like helicopters you might want included

So 350 a day for a strategy director is now what is being offered INSIDE IR35....Heaven help us

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
                    The way i read this job ad is all deductions means recruitment fees - Obviously not tax or pension or anything else like helicopters you might want included

So 350 a day for a strategy director is now what is being offered INSIDE IR35....Heaven help us
                    Nope you are making assumptions there - basically it could be:

Rate after estimated income tax and NI deductions
                    Rate after employer NI and other costs deducted (so paye) but you then need to ask whether it's based on28 of 33 days holiday and whether that's included or paid separately

So that's 4 variations and I haven't even started to think of other possibilities

Basically inside IR35 rate adverts are a mess because while it used to be simple (here is the outside IR35 b2b rate) when something is inside IR35 it isn't easy to pick an advert rate that won't create a possible legal battle

Which is one of the things I plan to fix - I've dropped hints as to the approach but we aren't quite there yet to reveal it
                    Last edited by eek; 29 October 2020, 17:10.

Comment

But it says "The rate quoted is the take home pay after all deductions."

What else could take home pay mean, other than after all taxes NIs? And how can they say that unless they have assumed a particular tax code. What if the person is in Scotland versus England (different tax rates)? As eek says, its all a mess.
                      Last edited by Paralytic; 29 October 2020, 17:16.

Comment

Working...
                      X