• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please folks am I mad or is the agent crazy. Didn’t bother to reply to him but here is the LinkedIn message

Isn’t the first question you ask what is the rate and ir35 because if it £8 an hour then no I don’t want to see the job spec and if it is 1k a day then I can do anything you want...

Luckily I’m not looking for a job really but how do you reply to this if you really wanted a job? Would you look at the job spec before knowing it was financially sensible for you

Receuiter
    Hi Xxx
    In the market for a new remote contract - We look for Business Analysts (Front Office and Traded Risk Support) to help deliver the new SWD (solvent wind down) for the banks derivative operations
    nice long contract this,
    Interested - let me know and will send the full spec
    Me
    Hello can you let me know what rate this would pay and whether this is inside or outside ir35 please thank you
    Him
    Hi of course - although my concern going through this requirement is everyone is just interested in the rate and not even asking for the job spec to look at the role - surely candidates would be keen to see the actual spec in advance and discuss rates later

yes i it OUTSIDE IR35

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
      Please folks am I mad or is the agent crazy. Didn’t bother to reply to him but here is the LinkedIn message

Isn’t the first question you ask what is the rate and ir35 because if it £8 an hour then no I don’t want to see the job spec and if it is 1k a day then I can do anything you want...

Luckily I’m not looking for a job really but how do you reply to this if you really wanted a job? Would you look at the job spec before knowing it was financially sensible for you

Receuiter
      Hi Xxx
      In the market for a new remote contract - We look for Business Analysts (Front Office and Traded Risk Support) to help deliver the new SWD (solvent wind down) for the banks derivative operations
      nice long contract this,
      Interested - let me know and will send the full spec
      Me
      Hello can you let me know what rate this would pay and whether this is inside or outside ir35 please thank you
      Him
      Hi of course - although my concern going through this requirement is everyone is just interested in the rate and not even asking for the job spec to look at the role - surely candidates would be keen to see the actual spec in advance and discuss rates later

yes i it OUTSIDE IR35
      I always ask for the spec and then ideally negotiate on the rate. Not sure it's that big a deal is it?

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
        I always ask for the spec and then ideally negotiate on the rate. Not sure it's that big a deal is it?
        It's only a big deal if you don't realise person to person communication with the agent can put you first inline to get contracts.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I would ask for a spec, the budget (not the rate, subtle difference), and the anticipated working arrangements

Comment

Maybe its just me but before I look at any job I first check that the salary is within my range

What is the point of reading a spec and discussing it with the pimp only to find it is a 200 per day contract? Isnt it better to say send me all jobs >X per day and only consider and review job specs which are suitable from that pool

Comment

At the start, I only ask for the spec and for the name of the client.

Good agents usually mention the rate (or ask me what rate I'm looking for) within the first couple of messages.

If they don't mention the rate, that's when I ask for it and more often than not it's the end of the conversation.

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
                Maybe its just me but before I look at any job I first check that the salary is within my range

What is the point of reading a spec and discussing it with the pimp only to find it is a 200 per day contract? Isnt it better to say send me all jobs >X per day and only consider and review job specs which are suitable from that pool
                Because you are thinking like an employee, not a business providing a service. The job spec is the definition of the service requirements and, based on that, you can determine what you want to charge for your services.

Poor analogy, but makes the point: Would a plumber ask a customer what they intend to pay before knowing if they're just being asked to fix a leak or plumb in a new shower?

I always ask for the job spec, but would typically ask for any max day rate alongside that.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
                  At the start, I only ask for the spec and for the name of the client.

Good agents usually mention the rate (or ask me what rate I'm looking for) within the first couple of messages.

If they don't mention the rate, that's when I ask for it and more often than not it's the end of the conversation.
                  if they don't mention the rate it's either tulip or the job doesn't exist.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                    So far Wfh has allowed me to tap into regions of the UK I never would have considered before.

Is your market really overrun by offshore workers or is demand just depressed like the rest of the economy is?
                    tbh im not so sure

Comment

Got called by an agent about some Healthcare data analyst role paying £600/day, but he did his best to try and put me off by repeating a number of times that it was inside IR35. I even told them that the rate wasn't the most important thing in this case but he was explaining how the "inside" determination meant my rate would be even less than half of what I'm getting now.

Just found it odd that he wasn't even trying to sell the rate to me. Bearing in mind that he had contacted me rather than me applying for the contract.

Comment

Working...
                      X