• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    Because you are thinking like an employee, not a business providing a service. The job spec is the definition of the service requirements and, based on that, you can determine what you want to charge for your services.

Poor analogy, but makes the point: Would a plumber ask a customer what they intend to pay before knowing if they're just being asked to fix a leak or plumb in a new shower?

I always ask for the job spec, but would typically ask for any max day rate alongside that.
    Completely different this is b2b and the client is much larger and typically is the party setting the rate.

You can't compare it.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
      Completely different this is b2b and the client is much larger and typically is the party setting the rate.

You can't compare it.
      I said it was a poor analogy, but asking rate first, without knowing anything about the role except the title, is employee thinking. But, since the majority of IT contractors are really disguised employees (in the eyes of the client, at least), I understand why that happens.

Comment

but asking rate first, without knowing anything about the role except the title, is employee thinking
        I think you’ll find it’s money-grubbing contractors who think like this, wimpy employees are the sort of people who would actually care what the job is.

Might explain why I’m continually in wholly inappropriate jobs, but I can’t be the only one who just randomly clicks on the high rate roles on job serve?

Comment

I said it was a poor analogy, but asking rate first, without knowing anything about the role except the title, is employee thinking. But, since the majority of IT contractors are really disguised employees (in the eyes of the client, at least), I understand why that happens.
          Maybe, I didn't even talk rate until my interview at my current client but I also only expect market rate for my skills so I've never had an issue before with rate.

Comment

The day of reckoning finally came for me yesterday. Perm contract arrived a week late which allowed me one last attempt at getting a contract.

Applied for 10 roles and had one call from an agent just fishing for names. Called him out and asked if he even had a contract to fill. He still wouldn't tell the truth and carried on asking for names.

Perm contract signed, pay rise due April 2021 - here is hoping it's 50%

On a positive note my mortgage is covered, it's fully remote, 32 days PAID holiday (not that you can go anywhere fun) and it moves me away from the coalface and into management.

Plan is to up-skill over the next 12 months and return to contracting as a fully qualified cloud architect.

Comment

Originally posted by coolhandluke View Post
              The day of reckoning finally came for me yesterday. Perm contract arrived a week late which allowed me one last attempt at getting a contract.

Applied for 10 roles and had one call from an agent just fishing for names. Called him out and asked if he even had a contract to fill. He still wouldn't tell the truth and carried on asking for names.

On a positive note my mortgage is covered, it's fully remote, 32 days PAID holiday (not that you can go anywhere fun) and it moves me away from the coalface and into management.

Plan is to up-skill over the next 12 months and return to contracting as a fully qualified cloud architect.
              Can one infer you had to take a poor perm salary on the promise of a better one in April 2021?

Comment

Originally posted by coolhandluke View Post

Can you say who you're working for now?

Am looking for perm jobs but not having much luck atm.

Comment

Got a call from an agent on Thursday saying contract market is picking up your put my CV forward

as always will revert

Comment

Originally posted by founder View Post
                    Got a call from an agent on Thursday saying contract market is picking up your put my CV forward

as always will revert
                    Before lockdown then

Market feck till April now

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Happy Monday morn everyone, get on that fake commute to the bathroom

Comment

Working...
                      X