• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
    It’s even better then that. 200k plus bonus plus benefits!!! So a 300k package. This is clearly a spoof
    Not necessarily...I interviewed for a developer role in London earlier this year. I didn't get it (as I must be crap at writing code ;-), however a developer was offered the role at £200K + 40% guaranteed bonus for a year.

He turned it down to work elsewhere...and as far as I know the hirer is still looking...

--Jatinder

Comment

Originally posted by jatinder View Post
      Not necessarily...I interviewed for a developer role in London earlier this year. I didn't get it (as I must be crap at writing code ;-), however a developer was offered the role at £200K + 40% guaranteed bonus for a year.

He turned it down to work elsewhere...and as far as I know the hirer is still looking...

--Jatinder
      And would you like to share what this person was doing? Scrum master for 200K plus benefits or something else ?

Comment

Originally posted by jatinder View Post

--Jatinder
        I don't believe you.... Not even a COBOL dev who knows the banks software is gonna get £200k as a permie. £1k a day as contractor maybe.
        And a guaranteed bonus is a lie as well. If it was guaranteed it would be £280k salary
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          I don't believe you.... Not even a COBOL dev who knows the banks software is gonna get £200k as a permie. £1k a day as contractor maybe.
          And a guaranteed bonus is a lie as well. If it was guaranteed it would be £280k salary
          The bonus is 1 year, as salary it would continue into year 2 onward.

MS, Facebook, AWS and Google would all be able to pay that in London were you good enough.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

First guess was it is a hedge fund paying 200K + Bonus.

Looking at the job advert i guessed right.

Some of these hedge funds are drowning in money.

They can afford to pay top contract rates to permies as salaries.
            Last edited by Fraidycat; 10 November 2020, 14:49.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
              First guess was it is hedge fund paying 200K + Bonus.

Looking at the job advert i guessed right.

Some of these hedge funds are drowning in money.

They can afford to pay top contracts rates to permies as salaries.
              And you would need domain knowledge to compete, wouldn't you?
              So throw in technical trading knowledge about Bloomberg or Reuters API and the rest of it. In other words, if you have no idea about OTC derivatives trades or what not then do not apply.

Comment

The role was to help develop and roll-out a new low-latency trading platform for a US investment bank (vampire squid). They wanted a developer to do the required modifications for the EU (the platform was developed in the US) and to additionally help sell it to the EU teams.

--Jatinder

Comment

I go back to previous client until Xmas and the bloody market picks up.

Typical.

qh
                  He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
                    It’s even better then that. 200k plus bonus plus benefits!!! So a 300k package. This is clearly a spoof
                    I know a guy who makes 150K as a dev at a little-known hedge fund in London. His annual bonus is triple his salary. The thing with these places is that devs aren't seen as a cost like you see with the big banks. They see good devs as a competitive advantage. Paying someone 500-800K a year is a drop in the bucket if they can generate 10+ million in profits for them.
                    Last edited by Katalyst; 11 November 2020, 09:46.

Comment

Hunter Bond and Noir are two of the worse agents for posting fake jobs.

Comment

Working...
                      X