• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
    Inside IR35 and assuming you average about 19 days a month (so take 30 days off a year including bank holiday as you want to compare against a perm salary).

Rough calculation method:

400 a day is about 4000 a month net
    500 a day is about 5000 a month net
    600 a day is about 6000 a month net

I would never work inside IR35 i would rather go perm.
    good luck with that, then, if you can FIND perm, even.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
      good luck with that, then, if you can FIND perm, even.
      I know my current client would jump at the chance of assimilating me for 100K base + benefits .

But £5500 a month net wont leave me with much after my current cost of living

Thats what the UK has turned into, cost of living and taxes so high even 100K salary is now nothing special.

Comment

You might need to do some hard thinking then because contracting is gonna change for good in the next few months.

Maybe it's different darn sarf but statements like that generally don't tend to garner much sympathy to say the least.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
          The mind simply boggles when I read with tears what has happened to the Uk contract market. I never in my life thought I would see developer roles at £120 a day inside even it is for a junior (and probably ambitious energetic person)

If this is the new normal then senior rates are also going to get hammered as well. That’s the scary part

What next? Unpaid interns as developers like they do in fashion?
          This is what I saw on a job advert the other day:

1st Line Support Engineer, Hindi Speaking, London, Start ASAP,12 Months, £80.00 PD
          Our client, who are based in the area of London, are looking for an experienced 1st line support engineer to help support them for a period of 6-12 months, starting ASAP, with interviews to be conducted today/tomorrow. The candidate will need to be fluent in Hindi speaking language.

I bet it's one of those Indian companies trying to hire an Indian for Indian rates! These sort of job listings should not be allowed. This is GB. All jobs must be English speaking FFS.

Comment

Originally posted by Destiny2 View Post

1st Line Support Engineer, Hindi Speaking, London, Start ASAP,12 Months, £80.00 PD
            Our client, who are based in the area of London, are looking for an experienced 1st line support engineer to help support them for a period of 6-12 months, starting ASAP, with interviews to be conducted today/tomorrow. The candidate will need to be fluent in Hindi speaking language.

I bet it's one of those Indian companies trying to hire an Indian for Indian rates! These sort of job listings should not be allowed. This is GB. All jobs must be English speaking FFS.
            That'll be Hindi on top of English, I doubt they're looking for people who don't speak English.

Comment

From the 1st Jan this will be the new normal rate for this type of work, under new visa rules

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

I know my current client would jump at the chance of assimilating me for 100K base + benefits .

Thats what the UK has turned into, cost of living and taxes so high even 100K salary is now nothing special.
                That's quite a hole you've dug yourself.

You might want to look into reining in your costs. As a contractor you've always got to be wary of when you might not be able to put in good rates - anything could change overnight. If you can't survive on a £100k salary then something is very wrong with your life choices. I live in the S.E. and our cost of living is not ridiculous: it's less than what you specify above, and that's for a family of 5 with school fees for 1 of the kids included.
                Last edited by ChimpMaster; 18 December 2020, 10:43.

Comment

Thanks all. That's helpful and cleared the fog.

The answer is... Option 4. FTC, £80k with a company that will definitely add to my CV and offers potential for perm / long term progression.

Been extremely jammy this week, and I know FTC is generally frowned upon, but given who it's for and the opportunities that brings it's a no-brainer. Especially as they offer a very good pension contribution, which I've neglected as a contractor knowing that this day may come fairly soon.

As an FTC, do I have to hand my CUK badge in?!

Thanks again for helping me make this decision - I am dreading some of the calls to other agents/current client today.

Comment

Yep its shocking! There used to be an office in Chiswick High Road where you could easily see through the windows onto the whiteboards in the call center as it was literally right on the pavement! All the info about not saying where you are based, hiding info about your location etc etc could be clearly seen for an IT outsourcer handling support from there!

Now unemployment is rising rapidly this government should not allow any IT vistas to be issued now & cancel ALL existing as there has been no realistic skills shortage in IT in the UK for a good 10 years now!

Shortage of contractors who do not want to be taken advantage of financially while the outsourcer or agency increases their margins perhaps but a genuine UK IT skills shortage is laughable!!

Comment

Bulls**t! That's not what the uk has turned into, it's what YOU have turned into. The average salary in the uk is around 35k and people manage to happily live with it; if you're saying 100k aren't enough for you, then you've got yourself and yourself only to blame.

Comment

Working...
                      X