• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To bring it somewhat back to the subject matter, I've just secured a bit of work (a contract, one might say) for around 10 weeks.

I'm also in full time contract with a bank (inside IR35 - took it to tide me over, good name etc) so will manage them both at the same time. Should be easy enough, as both are remote and the bank moves at a glacial pace so I'm well ahead of schedule with my work anyway.

The interesting thing about the new contract is that the end client advertised through the Government Digital Marketplace and a recruitment firm masquerading as a consultancy won the gig. Turns out the Digital Marketplace is teeming with recruitment firms doing this and hoping to get lucky.

I knew about this as I'm on there and had actually seen the listing, but during the "interview" phase I could have come unstuck quite easily because they assumed I worked directly for this "consultancy" rather than a third-party candidate they found after they'd won the work.

Sneaky bastards.

Comment

Originally posted by ensignia View Post
      To bring it somewhat back to the subject matter, I've just secured a bit of work (a contract, one might say) for around 10 weeks.

I'm also in full time contract with a bank (inside IR35 - took it to tide me over, good name etc) so will manage them both at the same time. Should be easy enough, as both are remote and the bank moves at a glacial pace so I'm well ahead of schedule with my work anyway.
      Well done, two contracts at the same time, the invoice machine will be cranking out invoices!

I got extended this week, outside IR35, so am good until end of June. Im over worked, so cant do two contracts even if i wanted to, although the client doesn't disallow it as they just deemed me outside IR35.

I didn't ask for a rate increase, so i will be 18 months in June since i last had a rate increase. My thinking was i would probably accept a rate cut if they tried it on, which thankfully they did not.
      And i was just happy to just get an outside IR35 determination at this point.

Many contractors were let go here, so i'm lucky to get renewed, although i put it down to mostly my hard work and less on luck.

Comment

got another message on linked today...

Python Engineering roles - London - UNIQUE opportunity
        Dear GigiBronz,

Hope you are well and are staying safe.

I wanted to get in touch to discuss a truly unique opportunity to work as a Python Software Engineer

Benefits!:

-SET YOUR OWN HOURS (literally - no contracted hours)
        -London based HQ - currently remote working full time (and work from home available when normality resumes)
        -Unlimited holiday allowance (YES, Unlimited, no pay deductions)
        -Equity in the company!
        -Offices equipped with all of the trimmings to make it an enjoyable place to work: ping pong tables, gym, snacks and drinks (fridge and cupboard reloaded on a daily basis), barista coffee machine, games consoles, the works!
        -Monthly activities including: white water rafting, water parks, day parties, beach clubs, murder mystery and escape rooms.
        -Annual subsidized Ski trip
        -Access to our partners’ and clients’ festivals and gigs
        -Annual Global Retreat (you don't want to miss this!)

does that mean what I think it means? do we finally have 0h contracts for developers?

Comment

I've seen such things before - the only thing that matters is work is done we don't care when.,
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Dear GigiBronz,

I wanted to get in touch to discuss a truly unique opportunity to work as a Python Software Engineer

Benefits!:

-London based HQ - currently remote working full time (and work from home available when normality resumes)
            -Equity in the company!
            -Offices equipped with all of the trimmings to make it an enjoyable place to work: ping pong tables, gym, snacks and drinks (fridge and cupboard reloaded on a daily basis), barista coffee machine, games consoles, the works!
            -Monthly activities including: white water rafting, water parks, day parties, beach clubs, murder mystery and escape rooms.

does that mean what I think it means? that we finally have 0h contracts in sw dev?

later edit: the recruiter is quite vehement that it is not a 0h contract, it just doesn't have any hours stipulated in contract.
            Last edited by GigiBronz; 21 December 2020, 11:43.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post

Dear GigiBronz,

Benefits!:

-Equity in the company!

does that mean what I think it means? that we finally have 0h contracts in sw dev?

later edit: the recruiter is quite vehement that it is not a 0h contract, it just doesn't have any hours stipulated in contract.
              Could you ask for a bit more detail about the snacks?

Comment

In a zero hours contract the employer sets the hours.
                This is different as the employee sets the hours. Hence not a 'zero hour' contract.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  Could you ask for a bit more detail about the snacks?
                  as a person that is aware of it's addictive tendencies and tries to eat/drink everything in moderation, does not keep alcohol in house, no sweets either but plenty of fruits.
                  I can't see having snacks all around during the long frustrated periods of work a plus. that's how you get hooked up on junk food.

Comment

Dear GigiBronz,

Benefits!:

-Equity in the company!

Sounds more like a perm role? There are a few companies that allow you to set your own holidays and/or working hours. Netflix is one.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
                      Sounds more like a perm role? There are a few companies that allow you to set your own holidays and/or working hours. Netflix is one.
                      I guess someone has to bullet and take it than tell us if there is a contractual obligation to be given work.
                      My understanding is that there won't be any number of hours stipulated in the contract so you could do 10h one week then 50h another without any obligation from either side.
                      If you are referring to Netflix in US they have "employment at will" so it works slightly different.

it should have said "no core hours" not "no contracted hours"
                      Last edited by GigiBronz; 21 December 2020, 12:07.

Comment

Working...
                      X