• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by founder View Post
    I pitched for a role @ 600pd, was offered 400.

Outside ir35 and remote, 4 months, new tech I like, should I take it?
    Negotiate? Will you shake their hand at £500pd? Otherwise it is the standard consultant answer: it depends on your exact circumstance.

Comment

Originally posted by founder View Post
      I pitched for a role @ 600pd, was offered 400.

Outside ir35 and remote, 4 months, new tech I like, should I take it?
      Don't degrade yourself. Let some poor old sod like me take it!

Comment

Im not looking as in contract but i just did a Jobserve search for 'Java' in London (my main skill and location) posted in the last 4 days.

156 contracts + 256 perm roles returned.

Rate and Salary distribution seem normal (pre covid levels).

Market looks reasonably healthy at least for Java devs around London, unless most of these jobs are fake???

Although i dont know how many jobs were being posted during the same 4 day period last year.
        Last edited by Fraidycat; 7 January 2021, 22:44.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
          Im not looking as in contract but i just did a Jobserve search for 'Java' in London (my main skill and location) posted in the last 4 days.

Market looks reasonably healthy at least for Java devs around London, unless most of these jobs are fake???

Although i dont know how many jobs were being posted during the same 4 day period last year.
          Around this time last year, the number of OUTSIDE IR35 start to disappear when I was searching for contracts. I didn't find that magic contract and ended up accepted a FTC that came in first-past-the-post and, later, I learnt I was almost there with a slightly rubbishy permanent offer.

I have some speculation about the big smoke, big city of London. I think many decent Java developers (I would include Go, C# other server side language engineers and JavaScript / front-end webby engineer people) might be moving away from the city in the near future, because of the life lessons of Covid 19. More green space, young family, and buying or renting a house over an appartment, less people and fresher cleaner air etc.

Sure, youngsters will probably replace them in the coming years. London will always remain the rat race. However, I think, senior people 30 years old and above might want to move to the suburbs or further afield with a commutable distance. (Perhaps my speculation should be in another thread Post Covid or something)

So I really wonder if those 156 job adverts that you are seeing and reading, actually reflect the true mental health and the future aspirations of the people if question.
          Last edited by rocktronAMP; 8 January 2021, 11:05. Reason: grammar

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

Many roles will be fake, duplicates of each other or fishing for details
            There's a reason many on here call it jobswerve

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post
              I think..

..senior people..

..30 years old..

..and above...
              Yeah, about time those old gits moved aside and gave the kids a chance.
              nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by hungry_hog View Post
                Many roles will be fake, duplicates of each other or fishing for details
                There's a reason many on here call it jobswerve
                The likes of Opus, Joseph..., Hunter Bond have even an automation for that nonsense, their adds pop-up daily without delay.

It must be coming from above:
                Q:How do you keep the plebs self doubting, considering that role to unclog toilets that they never did. How do you make them relocate their family 90mi away?

A: You chip at their confidence every day by getting the usual recruiter to call and boss them around. Get them to throw CVs in a black hole.

I’ve seen rubbish engineers getting all the attention, I’ve seen good people being fired within weeks. Most of the long term employees in some of the companies I think they were brainded and were disregarding technical side of the role because they’ve seen that seldom wan the argument.
                Most of the places were a old boy’s club where you would join a group or thrown out. Tehnical ability was irrelevant.

As a contractor you would not even matter to them, they would use you as scapegoat for the things they got wrong previously, blame for it and fire.

When I first read Bulltulip Jobs by David Graeber, I had a revelation, I all these years of feeing inadequate suddenly made sense.

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post
                  What?!

£650 p/d -> £360 p/d.

So basically they taking more than the NI and Apprentice Levy 14% in your PAYE / Umbrella solution

Does investment banking IT have a future at those daily contract rates?
                  Is the talent going to flee already?
                  You're better than that.
                  Clarity's calculator makes it £362 and change.

Weekly Income £3,250.00
                  Employer National Insurance £368.86
                  Employment Tax £14.21
                  Employee National Insurance £131.08
                  Employee Tax £896.32
                  Total All Tax £1,410.47
                  Margin £25.00
                  Total Net Income £1,814.53
                  Last edited by Contractor UK; 7 July 2022, 17:35.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post

Weekly Income £3,250.00
                    Employment Tax £14.21
                    Employee Tax £896.32
                    Total All Tax £1,410.47
                    Margin £25.00
                    And don't forget that any and all expenses will have to come from that £1814.

So I hope you are local and don't need a hotel room or long distance train ticket.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post

Weekly Income £3,250.00
                      Employment Tax £14.21
                      Employee Tax £896.32
                      Total All Tax £1,410.47
                      Margin £25.00
                      The post was in response to mine saying I "only" saw around £360 from a day rate of £650.

My margin is 60 a month, and I think the actual amount is £369.xx.

I don't know why he was so incredulous that I was wrong, I'm the one receiving the payments

Comment

Working...
                      X