• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
    There are other issues as well, like the best developers in cheap countries are in the UK and US already earning 100K+, so if want a remote worker in these places you tend to get the left overs.
    Not so. I've worked with and grown teams in the UK, US and India, and there is great talent in each. There are more challenges in hiring offshore, so the interviewing process is important. I'm still convinced that, after flying out to India to do 3rd round interviews, that one of the candidates I met face-to-face was not the same person I'd previously spoken to on the phone.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      I'm waiting for May / June time when companies discover that a lot of people are no longer available as being inside IR35 means they can't claim expenses.

And I say June as it will be about then that contractors discover the issue as the umbrella looks at the expenses claim and says - "sorry, no can do".
      This is it. All very well hiring cheap/cheaper labour from around the country or world but at some point people will be returning to offices and they won't be able to afford to do it.

Comment

Your occasional reminder that the City while being important and influential isn't in fact the entire Contracting industry and practices vary.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
          Your occasional reminder that the City while being important and influential isn't in fact the entire Contracting industry and practices vary.
          All the traditional city contracts (10’s of thousands) will be competing in all other markets after lockdown and realization of the new normal

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
            And I daresay it will be the same period of enlightenment when contractors who took the BBBL offer and borrowed, only to find that they haven't been able to work through the LtdCo at all since then will realise it is impossible to ever be able to pay it back.

I wonder if that will get back up the chain of communication.
            No need to pay them back for another 15 months, by that time government will write the majority off when one man bands go under in the new norm

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
              And I daresay it will be the same period of enlightenment when contractors who took the BBBL offer and borrowed, only to find that they haven't been able to work through the LtdCo at all since then will realise it is impossible to ever be able to pay it back.

I wonder if that will get back up the chain of communication.
              They probably should have thought of that!

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                5/10 years ago yes I would agree

Not now by a long shot

Would you mind sharing this secret land, where you can hire the good quality developer 2-3x cheaper?

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewK View Post
                  Would you mind sharing this secret land, where you can hire the good quality developer 2-3x cheaper?
                  Slovakia Hungary and a few other European places are certainly much cheaper than London. Lithuania as well

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewK View Post
                    You can hire good quality developers for 2-3x cheaper (actually 66% cheaper than contractors) in the UK, they are called Permies and some get paid around 60K
                    Some even less than that, you can also hire graduates and juniors in the UK for half that price.
                    Last edited by Fraidycat; 19 January 2021, 06:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
                      You can hire good quality developers for 2-3x cheaper (actually 66% cheaper than contractors) in the UK, they are called Permies and some get paid around 60K
                      Some even less than that, you can also hire graduates and juniors in the UK for half that price.
                      These days you can hire experienced UK contractors on junior permie salaries No need for offshoring.

Comment

Working...
                      X