• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recall my current agent having a couple of dozen live job on their website when i got my current gig through them in 2018.

Currently they have 5 live jobs on their website.
    Last edited by Fraidycat; 24 January 2021, 05:59.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
      £100K chap in London could not even get into property ladder and have £8K season ticket and need a food bank to survive

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
      I am on just over that and commute 3 times a week into London and work from home the other two days (not now obviously but before the lockdown). I have two children and wife that work part time. I have a 3 bedroom terrace house in Basingstoke.

We usually end the month with just over a thousand left over. I could probably cut a couple of hundred pounds off expenses (jack in both CrossFit gyms etc.) if I needed to.

I would not like to be trying to get on the property ladder now though! The rents for houses like mine are more than double the mortgage I pay and that is just here!
      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
        I have a 3 bedroom terrace house in Basingstoke.
        my thoughts and prayers are with you.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          my thoughts and prayers are with you.

I grew up in the Welsh vallies, this is a step up.
          "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by Destiny2 View Post
            Just saw a big recruiter and also the most dodgiest that I know of looking for Trade floor support and needs someone with experience of Blackberry and BES experience. Screams fishing all the way!
            Barclays most likely and they want someone on the lowest possible rate!! circa 100-150 per day ha ha!

Comment

Originally posted by Destiny2 View Post
              Just saw a big recruiter and also the most dodgiest that I know of looking for Trade floor support and needs someone with experience of Blackberry and BES experience. Screams fishing all the way!
              Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
              Barclays most likely and they want someone on the lowest possible rate!! circa 100-150 per day ha ha!
              Agree that sounds like Barclays. I recall something about the traders being stuck on Blackberry phones when everyone else was getting some kind of iPhone as the company device. Probably something to do with it also being too complicated to move off Exchange 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                Agree that sounds like Barclays. I recall something about the traders being stuck on Blackberry phones when everyone else was getting some kind of iPhone as the company device. Probably something to do with it also being too complicated to move off Exchange 2010.
                Its not too complicated if you hire decent IT staff to begin with but for many years they have offloaded as many perm IT staff as possible and used EU & Indian bottom feeders!!

Comment

Had a great year with a bit of work for a few months on a short term gig, 3 projects cancelled with interview arranged, 1 project cancelled having signed contract and paid to get it reviewed...

Got a few things on the go but have been approached about a FTC. Not ideal, year long, money I can certainly live off but the benefit would be adding quite a bit of hot new tech. If it comes off then I'll think of the future benefits... hopefully by then the private sector will have adapted to IR35...

Comment

Originally posted by BigLadFromBeeston666 View Post
                    I thought this was the State of the (UK) Market thread?
                    Indeed, we keep veering off course here with petty squabbles

Almost 12 months into Lockdown, who's still benched out there?

Market intel from me remains quite simple: No relevant calls, no relevant emails, no linked-in contacts. If i do get contacted its about a £25k/250pd IR35 engineering role where nobody else wants to work.

This is January 2021.

Surely there are lots of people that frequent this board that are hurting pretty hard but don't want to spill the beans. My humble jobserve tracker which usually reads 28,000-29,000 roles hit the floor during April 2020 at 2,800 is now at 6,700.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
                      Indeed, we keep veering off course here with petty squabbles

Almost 12 months into Lockdown, who's still benched out there?

Market intel from me remains quite simple: No relevant calls, no relevant emails, no linked-in contacts. If i do get contacted its about a £25k/250pd IR35 engineering role where nobody else wants to work.

This is January 2021.

Surely there are lots of people that frequent this board that are hurting pretty hard but don't want to spill the beans. My humble jobserve tracker which usually reads 28,000-29,000 roles hit the floor during April 2020 at 2,800 is now at 6,700.

I had a couple of calls about contracts in Europe but they didn't amount to anything. I was the perfect fit technically but one agent said I was too senior, or rather that's what the client told him (yes for a contract role and the rate was the same regardless of seniority!) and the other role never got back to me but I did say I couldn't travel to Brussels due to Covid and the agent said that would be OK but I guess it wasn't. Both roles were for Indian outsourcers - Wipro and TCS. So we know what happened there - they brought in cheap resources from the homeland.

Seem to be plenty of permie jobs out there though, and not paying badly either. I mean, yes the salary is only a bit more than what I earned in my last perm Senior Tech role 15 years ago, but it seems that salaries in general have been stagnant since then.

In or out of London doesn't make a difference from what I can see either. In fact, one of the offers I have is for out of London (and home working) and is better than a City salary I might have otherwise been offered.

What is a good perm salary anyway these days for a reasonably senior role? £70k, £80k?

Comment

Working...
                      X