• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to search for remote working contract opportunites?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bee View Post
    Stupid question.
    I'm going to put this <modsnip> in my ignore list too.
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Stupid question.
      I'm going to put this <modsnip> in my ignore list too.
      Seems a reasonable question to me.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Maybe it didn't Google Translate too well
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

The best it's to proof that you had a remote role in the past specified in your CV.

If not, you have to gain the client's trust first.
          Unless you're in a position to prescribe your own working practices, all you have is the good will of each client in turn. Trust doesn't really come into it, unless you plan to spend several months working onsite, and then start afresh with the next client. You need to start out with a common understanding of how the services will be delivered, if they want them. This is precisely why very few contractors WFH consistently. It's supply and demand. If there's a willing supply of BoS contractors to do a BoS role, that's what will happen. Anyone else will be instantly pegged as trouble/not worth the hassle.

Comment

People asking for remote working from the off are a risk. They have extra requirements above and beyond the other candidates so immediately make them more hassle. We've had 3 guys in the last 6 months start at our place and within 2 weeks complained they can't get WFH because others are. They knew full well it wasn't on the table. All three gave notice and left shortly afterwards. Whether they thought they could get in and once at the desk strong arm the client or something but it didn't work.

I'm damn sure the agent delivering to my client will not want anything to do with a contractor asking for remote working for gigs here.

You are right though, the agent doesn't really know. I can WFH as many other can. As long as you delivery and have good reason to do so so it is possible. You can't blame the agent for stonewalling that question though. Experience has told him it's not going to end well.
            I can see your point when its like this.

But sometimes, and I assume it happens to others to, there are gigs that I could do if there was some WFH but no way if its 5 days onsite. Thats just the way it is.

So I ask? OK if its a no its a no, fair play good luck and all. But I fear sometimes client may have gone for it and agent just dudnt want to get involved.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              I can see your point when its like this.

But sometimes, and I assume it happens to others to, there are gigs that I could do if there was some WFH but no way if its 5 days onsite. Thats just the way it is.

So I ask? OK if its a no its a no, fair play good luck and all. But I fear sometimes client may have gone for it and agent just dudnt want to get involved.
              Why discuss it with the agent? It’s none of their business.

Go to the interview and discuss it with the client.

Comment

People asking for remote working from the off are a risk.
                This is true for the bog standard contractor. It isn't true for people who's skills are in demand. It also isn't true across the board. I've seen many contract offers which state explicitly - remote working is possible.

But it does require trust which is why Bee's answer isn't stupid.

The best it's to proof that you had a remote role in the past specified in your CV.

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                Poppycock, why would your new client <modsnip> [I]care[I] whether you had worked from home before?
                Because, as would be obvious to anyone with the intelligence of a concussed Bee, if a client can see that someone else trusted you, it lends weight to the idea you might be trustworthy. Also, the question of "can I work remotely" doesn't come out of the blue. It's already been brought up on your CV.

For the above reason - no it wasn't.

Do remember the NLUK experience isn't the ONLY experience out there. Also, for everyone else: Keep it civil in the professional forums please.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Do you specifically mention the location then? I've never done it, but I've been WFH for a long time now. Never thoguht about putting it on the CV though.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    Because, as would be obvious to anyone with the intelligence of a concussed Bee, if a client can see that someone else trusted you, it lends weight to the idea you might be trustworthy. Also, the question of "can I work remotely" doesn't come out of the blue. It's already been brought up on your CV.
                    I tend to treat it on a role by role basis, dependent on a number of factors.
                    I don't really see that a client trusted you before making a difference to some that I have known.

The second part of your statement I can see value in, however. Obviously, you do a lot of purely remote roles, so would know.
                    Last edited by MrMarkyMark; 7 July 2016, 15:16.
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      This is true for the bog standard contractor. It isn't true for people who's skills are in demand. It also isn't true across the board. I've seen many contract offers which state explicitly - remote working is possible.

But it does require trust which is why Bee's answer isn't stupid.

For the above reason - no it wasn't.

Do remember the NLUK experience isn't the ONLY experience out there. Also, for everyone else: Keep it civil in the professional forums please.
                      Why are having a pop at me? I've don't think I've done anything wrong in this thread? Post more useful stuff then so it isn't just my experience on the boards if its a problem to you. Sorry for trying to help I'm sure.

And as a mod I don't think you should be abusing other posters.
                      Last edited by northernladuk; 7 July 2016, 16:01.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X