• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When you see same job, paying better, but you've been submitted!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
    FTFY
    Nice FTFY sir/madame
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks for replies.

I don't think I'm being naive and I have let it slide before because the difference before was maybe 20% more with one and, as is said, that's what's purportedly is being offered rather than the final deal. But this is 50% more (credibly - a mate rang for me and they confirmed they would submit at that rate) and sticks in the craw.

I still think I will go for the route of telling 1) they no longer represent me (new, small agency) then tell second the score and ask to be submitted by them. Sure, that may all fall apart but if I got role through 1st I'd also be thinking I've lost £x per day here. There are other jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by MoztheMan View Post
        Thanks for replies.

I don't think I'm being naive and I have let it slide before because the difference before was maybe 20% more with one and, as is said, that's what's purportedly is being offered rather than the final deal. But this is 50% more (credibly - a mate rang for me and they confirmed they would submit at that rate) and sticks in the craw.

I still think I will go for the route of telling 1) they no longer represent me (new, small agency) then tell second the score and ask to be submitted by them. Sure, that may all fall apart but if I got role through 1st I'd also be thinking I've lost £x per day here. There are other jobs.
        Sorry but I think you are. You don't understand how the client pays the agent, how the agent keeps what they can before passing it to you and the tricks the agents play to get the best person that suits them.

Comment

2 submissions are better than 1

I've been a hiring manager at a large bank and sometimes we got so many CVs there's no chance I'm going to get through them all. Usually I'll view the ones from the agents I know and trust first. However, if I see the same name twice, I'm going to notice and make sure I read the CV. I never had to tell an agency if the candidate was submitted twice, you just pick one agency and move forward with it.

That email saying you agree to be represented solely by one agency isn't legally binding and if the agent does find out someone else submitted you, you could claim it was an honest mistake as the rate was different. It's not completely honest, but agents are hardly honest with us

I've heard rumours that agents spam their contacts list, get everyone to agree to be "solely" represented by them, then they'll submit their top 2 CVs (or however many they're limited to) but if they've spammed 20 people, that's 18 viable candidates thinking they're already put forward and knocking other agents back... it's a pretty effective way of knocking out the competition...

Comment

Originally posted by TanyaWWW View Post
            I've been a hiring manager at a large bank and sometimes we got so many CVs there's no chance I'm going to get through them all. Usually I'll view the ones from the agents I know and trust first. However, if I see the same name twice, I'm going to notice and make sure I read the CV. I never had to tell an agency if the candidate was submitted twice, you just pick one agency and move forward with it.

That email saying you agree to be represented solely by one agency isn't legally binding and if the agent does find out someone else submitted you, you could claim it was an honest mistake as the rate was different. It's not completely honest, but agents are hardly honest with us

I've heard rumours that agents spam their contacts list, get everyone to agree to be "solely" represented by them, then they'll submit their top 2 CVs (or however many they're limited to) but if they've spammed 20 people, that's 18 viable candidates thinking they're already put forward and knocking other agents back... it's a pretty effective way of knocking out the competition...
            I like that :-)

Comment

Originally posted by gables View Post
              I like that :-)
              You might do but I bet it doesn't work like that in many cases. The fact the OP didn't mention anything to do with fall out from agents when telling them who's got dibs makes me think it's either a tad hypothetical or greedy contractor type agents were involved. I was a contractor in exactly the situation described and agents made such a noise the client decided to leave the whole thing.

Comment

Originally posted by TanyaWWW View Post

I agree with NLUK that it's not a good idea to do it. But as a hiring manager I wouldn't inform an agent that a CV has been submitted twice if I wanted to hire the individual

Comment

If you know the hiring company, ring them up and explain that you have two agencies that have contacted you about an open role and see if they are both on the preferred supplier list. If one is, go with that one. If they both are, consider being cheeky enough to state what rates it's been advised by agents at. While agency commission is none of our business really, you'll get an idea of who's got the more realistic rate advertised.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I can't believe for one minute a client is going to tell a complete stranger wheat rates they are paying the agents. That would set a really poor first impression if someone did that to me TBH. Got to be careful speaking to clients so early on.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      I can't believe for one minute a client is going to tell a complete stranger wheat rates they are paying the agents. That would set a really poor first impression if someone did that to me TBH. Got to be careful speaking to clients so early on.
                      This!

I have a hard enough job getting the client to tell me what they pay the agent when I am actually working for them.

Comment

Working...
                      X