• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When you see same job, paying better, but you've been submitted!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    You might do but I bet it doesn't work like that in many cases. The fact the OP didn't mention anything to do with fall out from agents when telling them who's got dibs makes me think it's either a tad hypothetical or greedy contractor type agents were involved. I was a contractor in exactly the situation described and agents made such a noise the client decided to leave the whole thing.
    I agree, I just said I'd like it not that I did it

If I see a role advertised by two agents that I think is the same role, I'll submit to both agents, the first that gets back usually gets the nod.

Comment

You might do but I bet it doesn't work like that in many cases. The fact the OP didn't mention anything to do with fall out from agents when telling them who's got dibs makes me think it's either a tad hypothetical or greedy contractor type agents were involved. I was a contractor in exactly the situation described and agents made such a noise the client decided to leave the whole thing.
      I was a contractor in such a situation and the first agency never found out simply because all the contractors on site were through the second agency.

I suppose the second agency now knows but they can do SFA about it.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by gables View Post
        I agree, I just said I'd like it not that I did it

If I see a role advertised by two agents that I think is the same role, I'll submit to both agents, the first that gets back usually gets the nod.
        I don't want to be rude but that's your plan after all the comment on this thread and others? Sledgehammer it and deal with the fall out later? Sorry but that's the worst option of them all. Maybe you didn't mean it to be as short as that and you would carry out other steps but as you've put it there disregards all the advice and experiences we've all put.
        You'll not come out of it well if you think you can play agents like that.

As I say apologies if you mean more than just what you put.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          I was a contractor in such a situation and the first agency never found out simply because all the contractors on site were through the second agency.

I suppose the second agency now knows but they can do SFA about it.
          Indeed. There are many twists and turns and each situation should be handled on its own merits. There is no step by step process to follow. You've got to understand the end to end process and what everyone is trying to get out of it and play the system the best way the situation dictates.

Comment

I can't believe for one minute a client is going to tell a complete stranger wheat rates they are paying the agents. That would set a really poor first impression if someone did that to me TBH. Got to be careful speaking to clients so early on.
            Sorry, to clarify I meant to be clearer; if one isn't on the PSL and they are higher, then they're probably fishing for better candidates to try and get on to the PSL. No point asking then as this is generally the reason from what I've seen (and when I've spoken to agents on nights out when they have a few drinks and discuss stuff they've got up to!)

If both are on the PSL, it may be that you act dumb and ask the client along the lines of :"just to clarify, are there two different roles because I've seen very different rates advertised?" If there's only £50 in it, then you can negotiate once you've got the gig but if the lower rate is enough to put you off taking the gig in the first place but the higher rate is acceptable then it's more of an issue.

I've always preferred working with agents who are on a percentage.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

To clarify...

I think it depends a lot on the market you're in and where you're located - I would never ask two agents to put me forward for the same role if I had a good working relationship with one of them, however in London there's hundreds of agents and thousands of contractors - and harried hiring managers who aren't going to be arsed following up why the same candidate came through the portal twice - hence my suggestion to be twice as visible as the next guy

In a smaller market or a niche area, obviously you'd need to be more careful

I've gotten contracts twice where the agents haven't even met me face to face until after I've started the role.

Comment

Indeed. There are many twists and turns and each situation should be handled on its own merits. There is no step by step process to follow. You've got to understand the end to end process and what everyone is trying to get out of it and play the system the best way the situation dictates.
                I should have added in my case the second agency weren't clear with the client's name and also acted very fast.

So by the time I knew I had been submitted twice I had an interview arranged for the next day.

With other contracts I check the client's name and any reference codes to avoid that situation.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I don't want to be rude but that's your plan after all the comment on this thread and others? Sledgehammer it and deal with the fall out later? Sorry but that's the worst option of them all. Maybe you didn't mean it to be as short as that and you would carry out other steps but as you've put it there disregards all the advice and experiences we've all put.
                  You'll not come out of it well if you think you can play agents like that.

As I say apologies if you mean more than just what you put.
                  Hang on, I don't mean I apply to both agents, then have both agents submit to client, what I mean is this:

if I see two agents advertising for what appears to be the same role, but obviously I can't say for certain at that point, I'll apply to both agents. The first agent that gets back to ME and discusses the role and furnishes me more information will get the nod to submit to client. If the other agent subsequently gets back to me and it's confirmed it's the same role then they don't get to submit me and I tell them I'm already in for that role. The client only gets my CV once.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    I should have added in my case the second agency weren't clear with the client's name and also acted very fast.

So by the time I knew I had been submitted twice I had an interview arranged for the next day.

With other contracts I check the client's name and any reference codes to avoid that situation.
                    Yes, more or less the same problem with me. One advertised a finance client in Cheshire, the other banking client in Manchester. It wasn't until I was sitting in the clients car park for interview I found they were one and the same. We can go on about what you should and shouldn't do until we are blue in the face but if the agents are throwing misinformation like this you can't win.

Comment

Originally posted by gables View Post
                      Hang on, I don't mean I apply to both agents, then have both agents submit to client, what I mean is this:

if I see two agents advertising for what appears to be the same role, but obviously I can't say for certain at that point, I'll apply to both agents. The first agent that gets back to ME and discusses the role and furnishes me more information will get the nod to submit to client. If the other agent subsequently gets back to me and it's confirmed it's the same role then they don't get to submit me and I tell them I'm already in for that role. The client only gets my CV once.
                      Ah got you. Absolutely. Until you know the name it's open season. Things can go wrong when agents submit you without telling you but as I just mentioned in the post above, if the agents are going to bugger about with misinformation and devious practices very little can go right however hard you try.

Comment

Working...
                      X