• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nepotism in contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nepotism in contracting

I'm interested in hearing peoples views on this topic.

I've had been looking for a new contract for about 3 months and like all of us, had endless waste-of-time calls fishing for information or trying to pitch perm roles they can't fill on the market. I worked my ass off to perfect my CV, ensuring I update my CV regularly on all the main channels etc, but got nowhere. 3 interviews but no offers (all of the interviews went well).

After about 2.5 months I started to get in touch with old colleagues, had an informal 'interview' with an old director and within 2 week I got a £550/d contract out of the blue, signed.

Do you think contracting is all about who you know and how does it compare to the wider perm market?

Another word for it is 'networking' and was the main premise of LinkedIn.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Another word for it is 'networking' and was the main premise of LinkedIn.
      Pwnd!!!!!
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Pwnd!!!!!
        I'm so glad I joined this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by blackeye View Post
          I'm so glad I joined this forum.
          So are we. Not everyone can make Cojak look clever, but you did.
          When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

I'm interested in hearing peoples views on this topic.

I've had been looking for a new contract for about 3 months and like all of us, had endless waste-of-time calls fishing for information or trying to pitch perm roles they can't fill on the market. I worked my ass off to perfect my CV, ensuring I update my CV regularly on all the main channels etc, but got nowhere. 3 interviews but no offers (all of the interviews went well).

After about 2.5 months I started to get in touch with old colleagues, had an informal 'interview' with an old director and within 2 week I got a £550/d contract out of the blue, signed.

Do you think contracting is all about who you know and how does it compare to the wider perm market?
            You fail to cite the obvious difference here, no time wasting pimp in the mix, networking is the way forward, I've not used a pimp to get a role for over 4 years now, keep networking and cut the shysters out!

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
              So are we. Not everyone can make Cojak look clever, but you did.
              Perhaps once you've stopped drinking you might be able to reply like a normal human.

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                You fail to cite the obvious difference here, no time wasting pimp in the mix, networking is the way forward, I've not used a pimp to get a role for over 4 years now, keep networking and cut the shysters out!
                Yes agreed. However what I'm actually curious about is whether nepotism, or 'networking' is actually how contracting works for most people.

Comment

Yes agreed. However what I'm actually curious about is whether nepotism, or 'networking' is actually how contracting works for most people.
                  Unless it's your uncle you've taken on for a 500 quid a day Java dev role when he is actually a qualified plumber it's not, networking should be part and parcel of your business strategy.

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                    Unless it's your uncle you've taken on for a 500 quid a day Java dev role when he is actually a qualified plumber it's not, networking should be part and parcel of your business strategy.
                    I'm not a java monkey , you probably work for me in the real world .

Comment

Working...
                    X