• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Renting a flat - what about bills and council tax?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renting a flat - what about bills and council tax?

Hi all,

I'm considering taking a new contract in London and having worked in London for the past 5 months and commutted to and from my house (which is approx 4 hours each day) I've decided if I take another role in London I'm going to have to stay over during the week so I can stay sane and get some sleep.

When I've worked away before I've previously stayed in hotels for reduced long term rates or done room share type arrangements but I'm not keen on them much and its a 12 month contract so considering renting a 1 bed flat somewhere nearish to my client but a lot of the rental places i'm seeing do not include bills so I'm wondering what do other people do in this situation?

Do you just go for ones that have all bills included like electricity, gas, internet, & council tax or do you pay those bill also through the company?

Services apartments are really expensive in London from what I can see too so this isnt an option for me. I dont have enough deposit for a buy to let scenario either so renting a flat so I can leave some stuff over at the weekends or staying in a hotel and taking my stuff with me back home each weekend are my options

Most of us aren't daft enough to commit to a tenancy lease (which are six months min), a 12 month contract means nothing.

We had some lass on here recently bleating about getting canned after one month or so but had already signed a six-month tenancy.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      Most of us aren't daft enough to commit to a tenancy lease (which are six months min), a 12 month contract means nothing.

We had some lass on here recently bleating about getting canned after one month or so but had already signed a six-month tenancy.
      Yes normally I wouldnt consider it either but with it being in central london I'm fairly certain I would find another contract in London and still be able to keep up the rental agreement.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernManc78 View Post
        Yes normally I wouldnt consider it either but with it being in central london I'm fairly certain I would find another contract in London and still be able to keep up the rental agreement.
        Go for it then but remember the moment u use it at weekend it's a BIK, though TBH I doubt HMRC would ever find out......

Comment

Looks like it's staying in a hotel unless you can find a flat share with someone who works away during the week, or works nights and the place has 2 bathrooms.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Hotels all the way for me. Did the rental thing a couple of times. While the flexibility of travel is great (Sunday night or Monday morning), you're committing to the equivalent of £60/night every night whether you use it or not. Hotels you can claim straight back from your company and it's all so much easier.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
              Go for it then but remember the moment u use it at weekend it's a BIK, though TBH I doubt HMRC would ever find out......
              Thanks I did read about that from another thread a few weeks ago, what I am uncertain about is handling the additional expenses above the rental amount when the rental agreement doesnt include bills like council tax, gas etc?

I believe these are not valid to claim as business expenses but could be got around if the rental agreement included all bills a bit like a serviced apartment but without the sky high prices of serviced apartments.

I would like to hear from anyone else who does currently rent a property in this way how they handle it?

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                Hotels all the way for me. Did the rental thing a couple of times. While the flexibility of travel is great (Sunday night or Monday morning), you're committing to the equivalent of £60/night every night whether you use it or not. Hotels you can claim straight back from your company and it's all so much easier.
                From what I've priced up the hotel route works out about the same or more expensive to pay for 5 nights than it does to be in a rental and with a rental I can leave my stuff there over the weekend which is why I was leaning more towards a rental place over my usual hotels route.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernManc78 View Post
                  Hi all,

I'm considering taking a new contract in London and having worked in London for the past 5 months and commutted to and from my house (which is approx 4 hours each day) I've decided if I take another role in London I'm going to have to stay over during the week so I can stay sane and get some sleep.

When I've worked away before I've previously stayed in hotels for reduced long term rates or done room share type arrangements but I'm not keen on them much and its a 12 month contract so considering renting a 1 bed flat somewhere nearish to my client but a lot of the rental places i'm seeing do not include bills so I'm wondering what do other people do in this situation?

Do you just go for ones that have all bills included like electricity, gas, internet, & council tax or do you pay those bill also through the company?

Services apartments are really expensive in London from what I can see too so this isnt an option for me. I dont have enough deposit for a buy to let scenario either so renting a flat so I can leave some stuff over at the weekends or staying in a hotel and taking my stuff with me back home each weekend are my options
                  Although it doesn't speak to utility bills, we strongly suggest you read this Actor loses battle for tax relief for accommodation costs

On a practical note if you can bear a flatshare then https://www.mondaytofriday.com may be of interest.

Comment

I am currently using AirBnB, which on the whole is quite good so far.

Some odd ones who advertise on your dates but then knock you back when you request to stay. Why advertise then?

qh
                    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Working...
                    X