• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Renting a flat - what about bills and council tax?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IPSE View Post
    Although it doesn't speak to utility bills, we strongly suggest you read this Actor loses battle for tax relief for accommodation costs
    Thanks, I've just read that and the key point I saw in that was he rented a 3 bed place and it seems to me that was key in the decision. I would only be looking at a 1 bed flat so I think this should be ok

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernManc78 View Post
      Thanks, I've just read that and the key point I saw in that was he rented a 3 bed place and it seems to me that was key in the decision. I would only be looking at a 1 bed flat so I think this should be ok
      Yep, that's the thrust of it.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
        I am currently using AirBnB, which on the whole is quite good so far.

Some odd ones who advertise on your dates but then knock you back when you request to stay. Why advertise then?

qh
        Because its advertised in multiple places and may be booked on site 1 while the advert still shows it as available on site 2...

As for the the Tim Healy case, the things to note are:-

1) He wasn't keeping subsistence receipts - so don't forget to claim for food - even though its a faff and hardly work the effort...
        2) he had 3 bedrooms and didn't keep his mouth shut by turning up at the tribunal. 1 or 2 bedrooms is probably fine..
        3) from memory I'm sure there was a previous comments on this case that boiled down to the fact he treated it as home and rarely went back home (not surprising when you are working Monday night - Saturday night).. So make sure you head home as often as practical...
        Last edited by eek; 1 August 2016, 15:33.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

From what I've priced up the hotel route works out about the same or more expensive to pay for 5 nights than it does to be in a rental and with a rental I can leave my stuff there over the weekend which is why I was leaning more towards a rental place over my usual hotels route.
          Up to you if you want to risk it. Make sure you opt for the six month break clause if you do. They'll still fleece you for cleaning fees and a check out process.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I've found these guys http://www.wedotherest.com/ has anyone come across them before?

Comment

I've found these guys CAS – We Do The Rest | Contractor Accommodation Services has anyone come across them before?
              Yep easy to book, easy to cancel... (sadly, never got any further)

Comment

I've rented a few times successfully but backfired this time when after 3 months the contract wasn't extended. As it was 300 miles from home, renting seemed the only option at the time. I wouldn't say it's daft to rent as someone else put it but does come with additional risks (contract not being as long as you may hope). I've now ended up keeping the flat for occassional weekend visits until the lease runs out. Bit of a drain but lesson learned - I won't be renting again. Luckily the rate for the 3 months was pretty good. I tried to find another contract in the area but nope, found somewhere halfway between my home and the rented property so now living in a hotel 4 nights a week. Hotels are easier, you don't pay if you're stick or if on holiday but of course the downside is if you're a long way from home you probably will have to travel home at weekends which can be a drag.

It's easier claimng for hotel room and meals in a hotel and you dont have to worry about paying and claiming for bills through the expenses of the limited which you can do through your limited but note that if you spend weekends there the rules are not too clear.
                Last edited by SuperZ; 1 August 2016, 20:04.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
                  I've rented a few times successfully but backfired this time when after 3 months the contract wasn't extended. As it was 300 miles from home, renting seemed the only option at the time. I wouldn't say it's daft to rent as someone else put it but does come with additional risks (contract not being as long as you may hope). I've now ended up keeping the flat for weekend visits until the lease runs out. Bit of a drain but lesson learned - I won't be renting again. Luckily the rate for the 3 months was pretty good. I tried to find another contract in the area but nope, found somewhere halfway between my home and the rented property so now living in a hotel 4 nights a week. Hotels are easier, you don't pay if you're stick or if on holiday but of course the downside is if you're a long way from home you probably will have to travel home at weekends which can be a drag.

It's easier claimng for hotel and meals in a hotel and dont have to worry about paying and claiming for bills through the expenses of the limited co.
                  SpareRoom for flatshare, house share, flat share & rooms for rent

Comment

... with a rental I can leave my stuff there over the weekend which is why I was leaning more towards a rental place over my usual hotels route.
                    This. I've done the lot, hotels for months on end, b&b's and rentals and without doubt the best option is the rental. With the other options you are lugging your clothes and stuff around like a bag lady each week. Weekend's become a case of washing and ironing the clothes, packing and preparing. All of that goes away when you have your own place. Then there's the dining arrangements. Continually looking for eateries is a royal pain in the 4rse. With the rental you cook what you like. It's a lot cheaper and more convenient. The place I've had even come with an onsite gym.

Of course, there are risks to be had but if we were risk averse we'd still be permies wouldn't we? Some might argue that the rental can be more expensive and I guess that could be true depending the type of hotels you can stomach, but ultimately the savings you make you're paying 20% corp. tax on. Cost cutting for the benefit of the taxman doesn't appeal to me. My view is that if you're working away from your home 5 days a week then the very least you are entitled to is a decent standard of accommodation.

On a sidenote, 1 bedroom apartments in London (or the part where I am) aren't that much cheaper than 2 bedroom ones, marginally so in many cases. Some might prefer to go with a 2 bed option and sub-let the second room. Aside from the room rental that's going to net you an additional £ 2-3k a year in undeclared tax. Not that I'm advocating such a practice ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
                      On a sidenote, 1 bedroom apartments in London (or the part where I am) aren't that much cheaper than 2 bedroom ones, marginally so in many cases. Some might prefer to go with a 2 bed option and sub-let the second room. Aside from the room rental that's going to net you an additional £ 2-3k a year in undeclared tax. Not that I'm advocating such a practice ;-)
                      Bearing in mind IPSE have already linked some case law where the accommodation was disallowed I don't think this is the smartest advice.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X