• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Giving Notice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giving Notice

After 11 years of being a contractor, I have never given notice to any client midway. I feel I need to do it this time. I am extremely stressed out, not just from work and need to leave to maintain sanity. Any thoughts on how to put this across? I am just concerned that this might leave a sour taste at the client where I do hope to return later if I can.

Originally posted by AnthonyQuinn View Post
    After 11 years of being a contractor, I have never given notice to any client midway. I feel I need to do it this time. I am extremely stressed out, not just from work and need to leave to maintain sanity. Any thoughts on how to put this across? I am just concerned that this might leave a sour taste at the client where I do hope to return later if I can.
    Firstly, what does your contract say, with regards to notice?

On the surface of it I would rule a return gig out, if you are going to leave them in the lurch.
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

If you have to go then a polite mail advising of the situation and that you will honour the notice period of X days. Thank you very much and goodnight.

Make sure you understand who to give notice is and what the period is.

You will just have to let it play out and see what the fall out is.

If NWP2C is on her should be able to give you a ton of real world advice.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 4 August 2016, 17:57.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyQuinn View Post
        Any thoughts on how to put this across?
        Email to agency - subject "Notice of Contract Termination"

"In line with contract term XYZ, we I writing to give notice of contract termination. As detailed in clause XYZ, please accept this as <n days / weeks> notice, and we envisage the last day that we will provide services under the contract will be DD/MM/YYYY.

For and on behalf of <company name>,

AnthonyQuinn
        Managing Director"

Comment

If you have a decent relationship with the client, why not be honest with them and talk through the issues? The client might be able to address some of them.

Arrange to take a month off - completely away from work - and then return, hopefully refreshed and walking back into an environment where some of the issues have been removed.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
            If you have a decent relationship with the client, why not be honest with them and talk through the issues? The client might be able to address some of them.

Arrange to take a month off - completely away from work - and then return, hopefully refreshed and walking back into an environment where some of the issues have been removed.
            +1

If possible, arrange a suitable break in your engagement; they may appreciate the budget saving they make from not having you on site for 4-5 weeks and can plan to wrap up your current work in the next 3-6 weeks accordingly. Obviously not all clients appreciate that you're still a human being but if you've got a good relationship with them, they'll hopefully understand.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post

^^This.

Comment

Working...
              X