• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reskilling yourself in such a fast moving industry

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reskilling yourself in such a fast moving industry

I work in web development and recently I've been overwhelmed with the amount of technologies required. I haven't had the chance to wipe my own ar$e recently, never mind reskill myself in Angular or React, in fact after 12 years I'm only just starting to get to grips with Javascript.

I went from backend dev to frontend dev, and vice versa and find myself chasing my tail a bit. I feel like a jack of all trades and wondering whether just to focus on one language/area and do it exceptionally well or keep going as Jack and wing it most of the time with my experience and problem solving abilities. It seems the older I get the harder it becomes.

Do any of you take timeout to retrain yourselves?

The web dev arena has gotten ridiculous.

"Full Stack .NET Web Developer" now means you are the world leading expert in all these at the same time:

CoffeScript, TypeScript, JavaScript, JQuery, Bootstrap, Handlebars, Moustache, HTML5, CSS3, Less, Sass, Angular 2 and 3 (not backward compatible), Ember.JS, React.JS, Polymer.JS, BackBone.JS, Vue.JS, MVC, ASP.NET, Entity Framework, .NET, C#, Linq, SQL, etc, etc.

A long time contractor friend of mine by contrast, is a SQL Server DBA. Similar rates and he knows SQL Server inside out That's pretty much all he needs to be an expert in to get the money.

Time to get out of the web dev treadmill.

Comment

Originally posted by johndc31 View Post
      Do any of you take timeout to retrain yourselves?
      Nope. I like to get out so out of date I can't get any gigs and enjoy the ever longer benchtime.

I'd go back to property if I were you.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

HTML5 seems to be where it's heading. Depends what you want to do though.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Nope. I like to get out so out of date I can't get any gigs and enjoy the ever longer benchtime.

I'd go back to property if I were you.
          But you're not technical right? Management is easy, you just need a big mouth

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
            He can generally fit both feet in, that's for sure.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
              Big mouth and low boredom threshold, so you can sit through a 6 hour meeting without wanting to die.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                HTML5 seems to be where it's heading. Depends what you want to do though.
                We are at HTML5 already and have been for quite some time. Who writes HTML4 websites now and why would you?

You can shim older browsers to work with HTML5.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  We are at HTML5 already and have been for quite some time. Who writes HTML4 websites now and why would you?

You can shim older browsers to work with HTML5.
                  Are we still on Web 2.0?

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
                    Are we still on Web 2.0?
                    I'm on Web 3.2a sp5

Comment

Working...
                    X