• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in Basel

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting in Basel

What's a good day rate in Basel to live comfortably and support a family? In London I could get 700/day but rent for a house big enough for the family (3 kids) and close enough to a good state school is extortionate so we've jumped ship and are looking at alternatives elsewhere. There might be an opportunity in Basel but before mentioning the rate provisionally talked about I prefer to have an idea about what market rates are like there and what is realistic to achieve.

Note I would need to rent a 4 bed house, preferably fully furnished, in an area within an easy trip right to the centre of Basel and am not sure what that would cost as I don't know the areas there. I've seen amounts but without knowing the areas I don't know where is good to live and where's better to avoid.

Can I refer you to my answer on englishforum.ch?

Forget about a fully furnished house. They are few and far between and very expensive.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Macaco View Post
      I don't know where is good to live and where's better to avoid.
      From my experience of Switzerland (not Basel admittedly) there isn't anywhere to avoid really. Unless of course you object to a brothel next door. At that point you may want to look before you rent as they tend not to advertise that.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

The worst places are Pratteln and Birsfelden. But even those are better than most places in the UK.

Binningen, Bottmingen, Therwil, Oberwil, Ettingen, Muttenz, Münchestein are probably the better places. Of those, Binningen has the lowest taxes, and is also closest to Basel city. But hardest to find somewhere.

Comment

Life is too short to live and work in CH.

Leave it to people like NAT, will ya?!

Comment

We had a terrible time in Basel Airport, seemed 90% shut and the current Mrs stek, who speaks several languages fluently, and I mean fluently, almost native, totally struggled cos French isn't one of them and all the staff seemed to be French with no other language. Never seen her struggle to get understood, was dead funny!

She was asking for the bill and I shouted to her 'L'addition!' and this French couple near me said to me 'See, it's easy'. That was the sum total of their assistance in the matter.

Fukn Frogs....

Comment

There's some kind of work going on at the airport. Not sure what it is though. Recently they shut the Swiss side and had soldiers all over the place. No word in the media to explain what it was about.

Most of the employees are French. They do usually speak German though - doesn't Mrs Stek have that?

When I've had to deal with officialdom at the airport, I have noticed a marked sense of relief from them when I indicate that I can speak French. For some obscure reason, these people working at the corner of France/Switzerland/Germany just aren't fluent in English.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                There's some kind of work going on at the airport. Not sure what it is though. Recently they shut the Swiss side and had soldiers all over the place. No word in the media to explain what it was about.

Most of the employees are French. They do usually speak German though - doesn't Mrs Stek have that?

When I've had to deal with officialdom at the airport, I have noticed a marked sense of relief from them when I indicate that I can speak French. For some obscure reason, these people working at the corner of France/Switzerland/Germany just aren't fluent in English.
                That was the case when we were there, closed bits and armed proper soldiers patrolling.

Mrs Stek's German is impeccable, but honestly everyone seemed to speak French only! Was worth it just to see her struggling lol! She has almost zero French and I only have schoolboy so I had the upper hand. Little victories! Everything seemed closed apart from two restaurants. Saw a Lockheed Super Constellation on the tarmac though, bonus.

I was convince we drove up to some tiny provincial airport, seems so like non-international......

Comment

For the OP. Without some indication of technology and sector and your level of experience, it's impossible to talk about market rates.

800-1300

Comment

CHF 950 per day is the absolute minimum to have a comfortable life in Switzerland. everythingis very expensive, not just alittle bitmore expensive, but a lot more expensive

If you can live across the border in Germany, do that, it will save you fortunes.

Comment

Working...
                    X