• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Things to check and/or negotiate in a new contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    It's more about risk mitigation and the chips being heavily stacked in their favour.
    Interesting asymmetry. They can dump you any time but you cannot. Just out of interest, are there any legal and practical ways of dumping a contract immediately the same way without loosing the payment for days you have delivered?

Comment

You are legally due pay for the days you work. It's in the contract. The issue you have is agents withholding the money due to you to cover their losses. They can't do that (even though they try). They should pay you what they owe and then sue you for breach of contract after. It's just that posession is 9/10ths the law in those situations.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The only time I have seriously pushed back on contract terms was in relation to bizarre and disadvantageous payment terms. It prompted me to dig and I uncovered a credit risk so walked.

Comment

Originally posted by Criticular View Post
          So would you want:
          (a) No mention of notice period on your contract,
          (b) Shortest possible notice period,
          (c) Longest possible notice period?
          Not a - b and c are fine especially as you can convince the client to let you go for personal reasons.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            More often than not you don't get the choice. Many clients shy away from short notices or put an uneven one for fairly obvious reasons. They can bin you on the spot whatever the notice there is if they are smart so no benefit to them to have really short notices
            You know, I'm not so sure that most clients really understand that. Certainly not the one's I've dealt with.

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            All the above but we mustn't forget the notice period is in the contract with the agent not the client unless you are direct obviously. Small point but pretty pertinent.
            Exactly. And - long notice periods favour the agent* - let's not assume that what's offered up to you in a contract is what the client asked for (even if the agent swears it is). Because I've had exactly this, contract said 4 weeks, when queried I'm told "client terms are 2 weeks", so change it! then on renewal I get sight of the client-side contract which says 1 week.

So when you talk about obvious reasons don't forget the agent might be lying!

* because, IME, clients generally don't get it and let's face it many contractors don't either.

Comment

What do you look for and try to renegotiate in a new contract?
              Let me start:
              - being paid weekly rather than monthly
              - minimise period of time when you cannot work directly with a client if they want your service again
              - how about notice periods?
              - what else?
              - Rate
              - Payment terms
              - Notice period
              - IR35

(roughly in that order, although there can be trade-off between each)

Not so fussed with handcuff clauses because in reality that's down to client attitude and their relationship with the agent.

So would you want:
              (a) No mention of notice period on your contract,
              (b) Shortest possible notice period,
              (c) Longest possible notice period?
              For me, b) because if the client no longer wants me then I'd rather not them fussing about trying to give me work that I didn't sign up to (most likely) or concocting stories of poor conduct. And because if I do want/need to bail early then it's easier to fend off threats of contract breach from the agent.

Comment

Copyright and IPR clauses.

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
                  - Rate
                  - Payment terms
                  - Notice period
                  - IR35

(roughly in that order, although there can be trade-off between each)

Not so fussed with handcuff clauses because in reality that's down to client attitude and their relationship with the agent.

For me, b) because if the client no longer wants me then I'd rather not them fussing about trying to give me work that I didn't sign up to (most likely) or concocting stories of poor conduct. And because if I do want/need to bail early then it's easier to fend off threats of contract breach from the agent.
                  I'd rather have IR35 friendly than notice period.

As others have said, an amicable exit can be negotiated if necessary. Notice from their side is irrelevant. If they want you offsite, they'll dictate when you go off site. Agent will then get involved if required to help discuss the exit strategy. Amazing what you learn after a few pints with agents
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    Amazing what you learn after a few pints with agents
                    Agree. Is there anything else interesting you learned from them?

Comment

Agree. Is there anything else interesting you learned from them?
                      They have their favourite contractors. By that I mean the ones that get extensions and don't cause much fuss. Far more likely to get submitted. Logical, I know, but I guess it pays not to treat all agents with the contempt that only some deserve.
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X