• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Indian recruitment consultancies operating in the UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    All the tech Indians nationals I know are planning to come over post brexit when new rules kick in - anyone that gets an offer of £35K+ will be most welcome when new visa rules kick in

That will be the real end of uk contractor contracting
    Met a couple once while staying in a shared house close to a client. Fresh off boat but hardworking people. Both of them were working in towns 1h+ commute by train in opposite directions from that town. They would leave early morning, return late evening, cook together then go to sleep.
    That was pretty much their day, i know because i was the guy lazing around in the living room and studying them. Well... the girlfriend was quite hot and was wondering when the hectic lifestyle would put a strain on their relation and maybe she'll want to try something European near by. But unfortunately had to move...

Back to the subject, even 50k is a bit low for South East, not to mention London, or at least in my perception. If i am going to get my ass hallowed in the corporate life everyday I'd better get decent meals and accommodation. Otherwise i could always go buy a small farm in a free healthcare country and live off my work. Life can be simple or unnecessary complex.

Comment

All the tech Indians nationals I know are planning to come over post brexit when new rules kick in - anyone that gets an offer of £35K+ will be most welcome when new visa rules kick in

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
      Exactly what I said many times in the Brexit forum

Comment

Heard on the grapevine that come march my client will fire all contractors and bring in truckloads of people from their indian outsourcer.
        RIP contracting.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
          Heard on the grapevine that come march my client will fire all contractors and bring in truckloads of people from their indian outsourcer.
          RIP contracting.
          Long term it usually works out better for local contractors. The cost, effort and delays that come with outsourcing for a mediocre end result, mean local contractors have to be brought back in. Usually in larger numbers than originally required because all the out sourced work has be chucked in the bin and the project has to be started from scratch with drastically reduced timescales.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
            No and why? That wouldn't achieve anything other than discriminate people with Indian family names.

There will be plenty of proper agencies with Indian directors and staff so it would be unfair to list them based on their name or even nationality.
            I agree with CheeseSlice, our job (outside of ir35) is to help provide a list of the companies that are contacting us, we are on the front line of this and can contribute to the list.

A deeper investigation is required but someone from the Government or a public body needs to get stuck in and draw the dots.

I feel this is exactly why consultancies, especially ones that provide services to government, should only use approved and vetted recruitment firms to provide their resources. If we can’t work out who these people are and what their motivations are then someone should be taking a closer look.

Comment

Originally posted by krytonsheep View Post
              Long term it usually works out better for local contractors. The cost, effort and delays that come with outsourcing for a mediocre end result, mean local contractors have to be brought back in. Usually in larger numbers than originally required because all the out sourced work has be chucked in the bin and the project has to be started from scratch with drastically reduced timescales.

Yesterday, I suddenly realised that maybe the Indian recruitment consultancies might be concocting a new scheme and it might be happening now.

The day befor yesterday, Wednesday, I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkIN offering an system architects job with occasionally trips abroad to Germany for a 6 month contract. He said that the contract rate was negotiable. It was up to a 1 year contract, if I had the missing necessary skill of a piece of integration software ZIMBINI MESSAGING [I deliberately redacted the true requirement]. I didn't have that skill.

So the recruiter said that he had another role in central London, but he could not reveal the hiring business. I asked why not? He begged NDA (non-disclosure recruitment) for the hiring client. Ok I said, I could live with it for now. This alternative role was for a full stack developer senior engineer with both React/Angular/NodeJS as well as backend Java and Python experience. Hiring client was global with plenty of cashflow and profitable. However, the role was *INSIDE IR35* and the maximum rate would be £475 per day. I said bummer, because last year I could tyically get £100 on that and be OUTSIDE IR35. I answered "I'ill sleep on it" and left it like that for the morning.

Yesterday morning, Thursday, I decided to give my consent for my CV to be sent down the hirer. Afterall money is money and it is a whole lot better than £0. THe recruiter then told me, for second role that I'd working from a WeWork office in central London with about a team of 15-20 people (the bell in my head started to toll gentlely). Was this a startup? Was this a re-startup? What global business run from the WeWork office. The recruiter then revealed that the end client is a global and the hirer is a consultancy (the klaxon in my head just start to get going) and then he asked me, "Have you ever heard of the company called *INFOSYS*?" (the klaxon sudden blared loudly as f**k now, I groaned to myself silently). I listened to the recruiter babel about them being the top seller and prefered seller partner with InfoSys for 7 years already and "you don't have to worry about money income". I heard PAYE and payroll solution. It completely went over my head, the nonsense about the make up of the team, a few contractor had left and that was why the positions were vacant because of pending IR35 rule changes. I also blocked out the bit about an New Zealand contractor working happily in the project for 9 project that he placed before. I asked the recruiter about holiday and sickness pay. Recruiter didn't know the answer or avoided the question. I politely said that I was very unsure and declined the consent.

So that was my learning yesterday, if a recruiter mentions that they cannot reveal the ultimate client because of the NDA, then get the hackles up immediately. The fish might be stinky, indeed.

I still don't know who the ultimate client was. To me, it sounded like very cheap agile consultancy and that the contractors had bailed or starting to bail for reasons that we all know. 20 people development tean in an WeWork office?! Huh. It doesn't make sense to me in a shared office workspace. I know some software companies like ThoughtsWork, IBM, VMWare and SkillsMatter co-horts do help other businesses kick off *skunkwork projects* off-site because they want actual digital transformation / pair-programming / kanban / lean. It is just the thought of InfoSys doing it though that leaves a salty limey taste. I wonder if this the state of things to come. Is it?
              Last edited by rocktronAMP; 17 January 2020, 15:40. Reason: grammar

Comment

RBS use infosys based in Wework next to RBS buildings as have no desk space (as closing down offices) but they can pop in/out as required (wework also have locked offices its not just an open space) plus wework has a free beer tap that is on from 3pm each day

Comment

Hi All,

I've been trying to decide if I post or not because I don't want to take away from anyone else's experiences but I think some people may be turning down contract opportunities based on this thread which I also very nearly did.

A few months back I was approached by 5 different Indian based recruitment agencies via LinkedIn for a contract. My current contract was near its end and it was a good rate on offer so not really knowing any better I agreed to the first agency representing me for the role.

The recruitment process was bizarre to say the least, there were long periods of no communication followed by extremely urgent request for interviews etc all in all I had 3 telephone interviews and 1 WhatsApp video interview with a guy in India. In between the interviews I had read this thread and decided the client company (wipro) were just using the interviews to get free consultation from me. However after the final interview I was offered the role. The peculiarity didn't stop there I was asked to start the next day to which I obviously said I would require a contract and then to work my notice period, it all went quiet again and once again I had pretty much written it off when I recieved a contract and several calls chasing it up. Since I didn't really have anything to lose I took the role.

The culture here is very different but everyone has been very helpful and friendly. Now that I have been paid my first couple of invoices I thought I would share my experience. If it all goes horribly wrong in the future I'll be sure to post an update but for now I for one did end up with a paying contract. I will add that I was never asked for and I would never pay any sort of fee to the recruitment agency.

Thanks

Comment

Until we receive a stream of gushing praise for the agencies listed in this thread, i am afraid that the evidence suggests that you need to keep all these agencies in the higher risk folder.

as with roulette there are some winners but most lose out in the long run.

I have never, in ten years of contracting, sourced a decent role through any of the agencies listed in this thread or, had a positive experience dealing with Wipro.

Your mileage may vary.....

Comment

Originally posted by ScottyDoo View Post
                      Hi All,

I've been trying to decide if I post or not because I don't want to take away from anyone else's experiences but I think some people may be turning down contract opportunities based on this thread which I also very nearly did.

A few months back I was approached by 5 different Indian based recruitment agencies via LinkedIn for a contract. My current contract was near its end and it was a good rate on offer so not really knowing any better I agreed to the first agency representing me for the role.

The recruitment process was bizarre to say the least, there were long periods of no communication followed by extremely urgent request for interviews etc all in all I had 3 telephone interviews and 1 WhatsApp video interview with a guy in India. In between the interviews I had read this thread and decided the client company (wipro) were just using the interviews to get free consultation from me. However after the final interview I was offered the role. The peculiarity didn't stop there I was asked to start the next day to which I obviously said I would require a contract and then to work my notice period, it all went quiet again and once again I had pretty much written it off when I recieved a contract and several calls chasing it up. Since I didn't really have anything to lose I took the role.

The culture here is very different but everyone has been very helpful and friendly. Now that I have been paid my first couple of invoices I thought I would share my experience. If it all goes horribly wrong in the future I'll be sure to post an update but for now I for one did end up with a paying contract. I will add that I was never asked for and I would never pay any sort of fee to the recruitment agency.

Thanks

You've omitted to post the day rate and role title, plus the actuality of the true day to day job. £450/day inside IR35 is tulip, for example. It's £225/day before you even consider your unclaimable travel expenses. Post tax £28/hour prior to such expenses may sound good to you, but as we don't know what you do I have no idea.

To the rest of you lot: DO NOT WORK FOR THESE INDIAN AGENCIES! You're feeding the broken system and a cycle of work will continue until you grow a pair and stop.

I'm not yer dad: go calculate what £28/hour is in permie world and look at the other benefits on top. If you still go work for InfoSys/WiPro/TataCS then you're a major dafty. I don't really give two hoots if you have a mortgage to pay or some other sob story: I guarantee you can find decent quality work if you search hard enough. Sick of hearing of contractors resorting to these Indian bodyshops. Leidos/CGI/SopraSteria are bad enough but come on - Infosys? Lol@you.

Comment

Working...
                      X