• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Something new for contractors...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do sites like trip advisor get away from the libel issue?

Comment

Put me down for **** for all of them.

Originally posted by PortSalutBoss View Post
      But surely working through an agency is no different to working through an umbrella company and they are reviewed are they not?
      As we've tried to point out they are entirely different. The umbrella works for you. You work for the agency.

If you're bored you could try a Trip Advisor for the railway companies that operate out of my local railway station. The fact of the matter is people have to choose a service based on price, destination and time of the day. Other things are relatively immaterial. Same with flying on holiday. Sometimes you can choose things eg hotels. Many times it's take-it-or-leave-it.

So why would you bother going on a rating site?

In my long experience you virtually never have an option of which agency to use for any given job. On the rare occasion you do, I suggest you are more driven by the likelihood of being put forward rather than whether you like the agency or not.

By the way, they all seem almost identical to me.
      "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        Just go and do it and see what replies you get. You sound a bit rapey, refusing to take no for an answer.
        Best comment ever

Comment

Originally posted by PortSalutBoss View Post
          Thanks for the responses so far.

As mentioned in the post I was not looking for a critique of the idea or am I trying to focus on the negative... To go back to my previous question, what do you think makes a recruitment company great, little things they have done that have made your life easier, small services that make a huge difference and/or anything positive that has made you feel more comfortable in working with them.

I dont want the name of companies I just want you guys to give me some positives

if you think this is a terrible idea let me worry about wasting my own time (it is my time after all )

Keith.
          It's a fine idea with one key problem - no-one gives a toss about the agent or the agency.
          The ONLY things they care about is:
          - Has this agent got a job for me.
          - Will I get paid. (you only find out this out too late)

The suggestion you will turn down an agent approaching with a fat contract because of negative reviews is laughable.

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
            It's a fine idea with one key problem - no-one gives a toss about the agent or the agency.
            The ONLY things they care about is:
            - Has this agent got a job for me.
            - Will I get paid. (you only find out this out too late)

The suggestion you will turn down an agent approaching with a fat contract because of negative reviews is laughable.
            The only situation that would occur where the idea could serve a purpose is if the contractor had multiple options with different agents - but even then the agent that isn't likely to be the important factor
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by youngguy View Post
              That's not been my experience.

Client puts together JD, sends to agent. Agent pastes to jobserve. Does a keyword match, quick phone call, Agee's interview time, pays invoices every month.

Don't get me wrong, i am not saying they dont play a role. I see them as being beneficial to the client and they do guarantee quick payment for us. I just have not personally seen any value add above that....which is what makes the OPs original Q so tricky to answer.

One of the most ill informed comments I've read in these forums (and there's been a few).

I can 100% guarantee that you don't work for an agency, never have, don't know any agents personally or even have a remote understanding of what a recruiters job is.

If you honestly believe that your description above is anywhere close to reality then you're a fool and should do some homework before making such ignorant comments hahaha

Comment

Working...
              X