• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sectors - any to avoid?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sectors - any to avoid?

Local Authorities

Comment

What is MOO?

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
      Or Morph... I know the like of Equal Equal experts are picking up a lot of public sector work, they follow a consultancy model, come in and take over entire delivery of projects (devs, testers, scrum masters etc). Tend to rely heavily on contractors to resource projects and by their very nature are IR35 friendly (supply own kit, project based, no MOO etc), one wonders if the contractor -> consultancy -> government project model would circumvent the new rules...
      I have been reading through the firms and seen he acronym MOO mentioned a few times but with no explanation.

I tried the search but it doesn't bring anything back, I assume it is too short.

I know it may be a bit of a noob question but what is MOO ?

Thx

Comment

Originally posted by Freud View Post
        I have been reading through the firms and seen he acronym MOO mentioned a few times but with no explanation.

I tried the search but it doesn't bring anything back, I assume it is too short.

I know it may be a bit of a noob question but what is MOO ?

Thx
        Moo means mutuality of obligation. If you are employed you need to turn up and your employer needs to pay you even if there is no work todo.

As a contractor you can decide when you turn up and your client can announce that you don't need to turn up as they have nothing for you to do.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Moo means mutuality of obligation. If you are employed you need to turn up and your employer needs to pay you even if there is no work todo.

As a contractor you can decide when you turn up and your client can announce that you don't need to turn up as they have nothing for you to do.
          Thanks. Perfect explanation. Got it.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

But that, at best is far too simplistic and at worst wrong. MoO is about offering work AFTER the current identified piece has been completed. Not turning up because there isn't work is part of the Time and Materials way we work. There could be a lull in the current offering due to a change freeze period and the client asks you not to come in. That's because we are paid for a days work and they have that option, just as we have when we want to go on holiday.

Freud, you need to use the search as I mentioned in your first post. If you type in MOO site:forums.contractoruk.com in to google you'll get about 1000 results where MoO is discussed in great detail. As it's been done a lot there will be a ton of links and the like. Might take a bit of digging through but should provide a ton of very useful info (and a ton of crap as well though) to read.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks. Perfect explanation. Got it.
              Just don't abuse it; I heard of one contractor using MoO as an excuse for taking loads of time off and getting binned off because he took too much time off for the statement of work to be met.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                But that, at best is far too simplistic and at worst wrong. MoO is about offering work AFTER the current identified piece has been completed. Not turning up because there isn't work is part of the Time and Materials way we work. There could be a lull in the current offering due to a change freeze period and the client asks you not to come in. That's because we are paid for a days work and they have that option, just as we have when we want to go on holiday.
                Thanks.

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Freud, you need to use the search as I mentioned in your first post. If you type in MOO site:forums.contractoruk.com in to google you'll get about 1000 results where MoO is discussed in great detail. As it's been done a lot there will be a ton of links and the like. Might take a bit of digging through but should provide a ton of very useful info (and a ton of crap as well though) to read.
                I tried the site search here but will now also try Google. Thx

Comment

I tried the site search here but will now also try Google. Thx
                  Yeah it's trash but thankfully the google one is pretty darn good.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Banking, early stage startups (2 guys with an idea and no idea how to run a business), PS, Fintech (if all they do is debt, blockchain is interesting though), digital agencies (insane deadlines, no specs).
                    You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by squarepeg View Post
                      Banking, early stage startups (2 guys with an idea and no idea how to run a business), PS, Fintech (if all they do is debt, blockchain is interesting though), digital agencies (insane deadlines, no specs).
                      I had quite a good six months with a Digital Agency! You just have to manage them properly.

Comment

Working...
                      X