• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sectors - any to avoid?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sectors - any to avoid?

Hi all,

There was a recent thread about someone being offered a role at a charity and there were a few sweeping statements saying avoid charities - Usually a mess, crap on your cv, etc.

This got me wondering whether there were other sectors people see as no go areas . I get the 'usually a mess' but crap on the cv is a real concern.

Discuss...
    I know someone will throw in PS.

PS is going to die. Not much point going in to that one.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Or Morph... I know the like of Equal Equal experts are picking up a lot of public sector work, they follow a consultancy model, come in and take over entire delivery of projects (devs, testers, scrum masters etc). Tend to rely heavily on contractors to resource projects and by their very nature are IR35 friendly (supply own kit, project based, no MOO etc), one wonders if the contractor -> consultancy -> government project model would circumvent the new rules...

Comment

Or Morph... I know the like of Equal Experts and Black Cat are picking up a lot of public sector work, they follow a consultancy model, come in and take over entire delivery of projects (devs, testers, scrum masters etc). Tend to rely heavily on contractors to resource projects and by their very nature are IR35 friendly (supply own kit, project based, no MOO etc), one wonders if the contractor -> consultancy -> government project model would circumvent the new rules...

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
          Or Morph... I know the like of Equal Experts and Black Cat are picking up a lot of public sector work, they follow a consultancy model, come in and take over entire delivery of projects (devs, testers, scrum masters etc). Tend to rely heavily on contractors to resource projects and by their very nature are IR35 friendly (supply own kit, project based, no MOO etc), one wonders if the contractor -> consultancy -> government project model would circumvent the new rules...
          Nope, not as far as I understand it
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
            Nope, not as far as I understand it
            Indeed. Isn't one of the examples exactly this. The 10 contractors and they are all caught according to the blurb.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Indeed. Isn't one of the examples exactly this. The 10 contractors and they are all caught according to the blurb.
              In that case PS really is knackered!

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                In that case PS really is knackered!
                It wipes a fair portion of contractors out; you've only got the umbrella users with minimal expenses left (or the truly needy or those doing the needful).
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Everyone is different.

I won't touch "digital agencies" (at the moment anyway) as I've heard some pretty bad things about them, and from what I can tell they generally pay poorly (comparatively) and less likely to get extensions (which for some may be against the ethos of contracting, but I do prefer extension and longer contracts generally, while keeping an eye on IR35 of course!)

Contractor buddy of mine has vowed to avoid big financials from now on, after working in many over his contracting career.

Comment

One man's trash is another man's treasure. I know of some people that like NHS, local councils etc. because you can sit there doing nothing and getting paid for it. Which is one of the reasons for them being tulip for any sane person.

Comment

Working...
                    X