• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent trying to reduce agreed day rate.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agent trying to reduce agreed day rate.

Hi,

I'm sure you have had this questions (and its variations) god knows how many times.

If there is a link to a good response to this. Just point me in the right direction.

Anyway, I applied for a role. The rate was advertised and the agent and I agreed a day rate.

I had the interview last friday and I got a good feeling from everyone I met (still I know that it does't mean anything, till you have an offer on the table).

I spoke to the agent and told him how things went. He then said 'I'm just wondering if accounts from the client come back and say they can't pay the rate we agreed, will you take a lower rate?'

The first thing that came into my mind 'you can go and procreate yourself mate...£$£@ NO!

I told him that the rate we discussed is well within the advertised budget so why would they reduce it.

So the agent replied 'So if they came in at a lower would you say no?'

I told him I would cross that bridge if I came to it.

I am wondering has this happened to anyone else?

How did you deal with it?

You need a real poker face. FOUR ACES!!!

Bill and Ted....

Comment

He's trying to scam you.

There have been a few stories about it recently.

He's also probably trying to hardball client to "get you" an extra £25-50 a day and trouser the lot.

It's very simple; 90% of agents give the rest a bad name.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

The way the agent has said that implies he is a noob at this game. In any case, he will not have enough care for the client to provide them the best candidate; he will only care to place the cheapest contractor from which he can make the largest margin.

So the risk to you is that he'll find someone he can make more money from, and regardless of whether that person is the client's first choice or not, he will attempt to place him before he considers you.

In any case I think you've done the right thing. Wait until you have an offer from the client, in which case you know they want you - and then hold to your rate.

Comment

Depends how long you have or will be on the bench for. I'm all for telling the agent to stick it, but when I'm coming to the end of the contract and I have a role paying a decent rate minus whatever the agent is trying skim or time on the bench then I'm more inclined to take the role.

But my savings aren't as significant as others on here who can tell the agent where to go

Comment

Refuse the reduction. Unless his agency is sole supplier, once an offer has been made, there's no guarantee he'll be able to slip in someone else. Even if it is sole supplier, the client may not want the other candidates. Remember, they chose you.

If he then says "oh, in that case, we'll have to let it go", say "Fine. Btw, I'm going to send a note to the client apologising for being unable to accede to their request for a rate reduction".

Or just call him out straight. "I don't believe you".
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              Refuse the reduction. Unless his agency is sole supplier, once an offer has been made, there's no guarantee he'll be able to slip in someone else. Even if it is sole supplier, the client may not want the other candidates. Remember, they chose you.

If he then says "oh, in that case, we'll have to let it go", say "Fine. Btw, I'm going to send a note to the client apologising for being unable to accede to their request for a rate reduction".

Or just call him out straight. "I don't believe you".
              This +1
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

As above ^^ Agent is doing a rather bad job of this sort of thing
                Seems (s)he is a bit new at this......
                latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Update from my original post

Got numerous emails from agency over the last week saying I was the no.1. candidate, client loved me.
                  blah blah blah.

Got fed up of the BS so decided this morning decided to write and tell them that I getting interest from other agencies, I have to give them consideration. what is outcome of my interview?

I get an email this morning stating they offered the role to someone else. They agency is awaiting feedback (not holding my breath)

I suspect they told the client I had taken another role and put another candidate forward and they were offered the role.

I'm not upset (its the nature of the beast), it's kind of tulip <mod snip>

I was able to find the email details of one the people who interviewed me, I am seriously considering emailing him and asking for feedback and if it was to due with rate reduction.
                  Last edited by cojak; 4 October 2016, 13:07. Reason: Removed winkers

Comment

I would write to the guys, if only to find out what the real deal is. You never know, perhaps he was also scammed by the agent.

Comment

Working...
                    X