• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How many years as a Permie before you took the leap into contracting?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permie for 13 years (3 different employers, 10 different projects, 2 different industries). Just signed my first contract.

Comment

Permie for 32 years.

Then took a 'couldn't say no' package and have been contracting for the last 4 years.

Comment

15 years of permanent employment in 3 different firms and now 13 year of consulting on a tad over 20 different contract jobs.

Comment

7 1/2 years permie with two employers (6 years, 1 1/2 years)

10 years as a contractor, with 8 clients ranging from 4 weeks to 4 years

Comment

12 years for me in 2 jobs, one for far too long. Then 6 years contracting, another 4 years of permiedom, and now another year in a contract.

3 years into my first job I had an interview for a contract job without really knowing what that meant. I think I would have got it but the whole project got cancelled (at least that's what they told me). So maybe everything could have been different.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

5 years permie. 29 years contracting.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
                13 years... ...over 20 different contract jobs.
                You're not making many friends on-site, are you.

Edit: NLUK will still have you tagged as a Permietractor.
                Last edited by nomadd; 29 September 2016, 17:00.
                nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
                  You're not making many friends on-site, are you.

Edit: NLUK will still have you tagged as a Permietractor.
                  Nah. I was quite impressed. Now if he'd said 13 years and 3 contracts I'd have been all over it
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

11 years perm, 1 year contract (6 contracts including two at once for a short run) - quite enjoying it

Comment

Originally posted by Einstein Jnr View Post
                      11 years perm, 1 year contract (6 contracts including two at once for a short run) - quite enjoying it
                      6 contracts in a year? I'm surprised you get any work done, some places it can take 3-4 weeks to get system access
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X