• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How many years as a Permie before you took the leap into contracting?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Einstein Jnr View Post
    11 years perm, 1 year contract (6 contracts including two at once for a short run) - quite enjoying it
    Very odd. What industry do you work in?

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
      You're not making many friends on-site, are you.

Edit: NLUK will still have you tagged as a Permietractor.
      ha! looks that way but a breakdown shows: 6 contracts lasting a year or more, 7 at 6 months, and the rest just short jobs lasting weeks or days (training, pre-sale, best practice etc.) and most of them ran parallel to large contracts. still, there's definitely a trend to shorter contracts. i think i'm doing less life-cycle and more parachute-in / steering. of the jobs 3 were return contracts after a year or more away at other clients. my current client is a perfect example - i worked for them through a big integrator via a big vendor 2 years ago and now i'm back post big bang fixing things that just don't work as well as was envisaged. no big integrators in sight or on site this time.

Comment

Originally posted by blackeye View Post
        Very odd. What industry do you work in?
        IT - some gigs require just the architecture and design done and they then get a junior engineer to roll it out - if they are paying the same rate for the engineering, I don't mind getting my sleeves dirty

Comment

6 Years Permie; 4 years contracting.

Wether or not 6 years permie is enough probably depends on the actual jobs and background. I have a Bachelors/Masters in my field and most of my hard won experience was working at a start up with a great mentor who allowed me to design and build things and explain my tulip mistakes to me.

I've certaintly met folks with a decade plus of experience who I wouldn't consider experts in their field and I've met a couple of youngsters who I'd be happy to work with.

With that said, I still have to learn new things all the time. Usually I find if I'm doing my job well, I'm trusted to work with tech I haven't touched more and more.

Comment

10 years permie (of which 4 was as an apprentice), 4 years contract, 7 years permie (when IR35 first came in), 9 years contract

Comment

7 years perm - mainly dev / BA work
              coming up to 1st year contract

Comment

Originally posted by fool View Post
                ..if I'm doing my job well, I'm trusted to..
                Why, Dharling, you're a Contractor - you should always be doing your job well. *

(* Or at least giving the impression there of. )
                nomadd liked this post

Comment

3 year 10 month permie. 8 years contracting. Now founded a startup
                  "You can't climb the ladder of success, with your hands in the pockets"
                  Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

22 years perm, 16 contract. Not dead yet....

Comment

28 years permie (well 2 weeks just shy of), 3 months contracting.

Comment

Working...
                      X