• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IT consulting firms

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IT consulting firms

With all the talk in another thread about consultancies it made me think, and I was wondering in pure IT terms which firms were which and more likely to contract with, not that I have that desire but just to be aware.

So to start, a stab at some groupings....

The big 4: Pricewaterhouse Coopers, Ernst & Young, Deloitte, KPMG

IT firms: Microsoft, Oracle, HP, IBM

Not big 4 nor IT firm: Capgemini, CGI, Accenture, Capita

Interested in your views on this list, any obvious missing? wrong grouping?

TCS, Cognizant...
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve by categorising them and if you can. They aggressively try and take any type of work on they can once they have their claws in to a client so if you are using the categories to target the ones most likely to get you a contract I think you'll be doing yourself a disservice.

To categorize it properly you have to have a reason for doing so. I don't see what you are trying to achieve so no idea if the categorization even means anything.

Just because they are big I don't think it means you are 'more likely' to contract with them.

Just doesn't feel right to me at all.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

KMPG are currently looking for MI developers in Leeds on contract.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve by categorising them and if you can. They aggressively try and take any type of work on they can once they have their claws in to a client so if you are using the categories to target the ones most likely to get you a contract I think you'll be doing yourself a disservice.

To categorize it properly you have to have a reason for doing so. I don't see what you are trying to achieve so no idea if the categorization even means anything.

Just because they are big I don't think it means you are 'more likely' to contract with them.

Just doesn't feel right to me at all.

No no no, not looking to categorise them in an effort to target them for work. I also know how they work.

It's more just out of interest and how they sit in the market, so when they get discussed I can 'position' them in my head.

The mix of firms has changed from the old days of the big 5, EDS, Logica and others, and I was just musing what the landscape was these days.

Comment

Sopra-Steria

Comment

There are all big enough to have some great bits, some average bits, and some rubbish bits of their organisation, and it all depends which bit you end up interacting with

Some of them come with a great heritage of good delivery and pragmatic advice, sadly most have been taken over by salesy BS merchants one way or another

Some are decent trustworthy at their core, and others play the game (underestimate to win business then charge for "change" to make the finances viable), and some are out and out evil

I've been inside a number, worked alongside most, and am no longer impressed

Mostly they have been flattened to the same old BS consultancy nonsense, with few real delivery orientated characters staying

The Indian outsourcers are in my close up view frankly evil, and no more worthy of the time of day than slave traders and owners running cotton plantations, or Somali pirates, indeed at least you know where you stand with a Somali pirate.

I think there is a gap in the market for decent honest trustworthy consultancy which has delivery orientated people at its heart. Let the delivery people do the selling, as some consultancies did in days done by.

Some are in meltdown currently as HPE and CSC are, and I expect to fail massively and crumble or merge further.

Takes your choices

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                TCS, Cognizant...
                cheers NAT a helpful answer :-) presumably these sit with the Capgeminis of the world?

Comment

Originally posted by kolata View Post
                  Sopra-Steria
                  Ooops, forgot about them

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
                    There are all big enough to have some great bits, some average bits, and some rubbish bits of their organisation, and it all depends which bit you end up interacting with

Some of them come with a great heritage of good delivery and pragmatic advice, sadly most have been taken over by salesy BS merchants one way or another

Some are decent trustworthy at their core, and others play the game (underestimate to win business then charge for "change" to make the finances viable), and some are out and out evil

I've been inside a number, worked alongside most, and am no longer impressed

Mostly they have been flattened to the same old BS consultancy nonsense, with few real delivery orientated characters staying

The Indian outsourcers are in my close up view frankly evil, and no more worthy of the time of day than slave traders and owners running cotton plantations, or Somali pirates, indeed at least you know where you stand with a Somali pirate.

I think there is a gap in the market for decent honest trustworthy consultancy which has delivery orientated people at its heart. Let the delivery people do the selling, as some consultancies did in days done by.

Some are in meltdown currently as HPE and CSC are, and I expect to fail massively and crumble or merge further.

Takes your choices
                    Interesting.. HPE is HP I take it?

Comment

Working...
                    X