• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permie Trying To Off-load Unwanted Work - Time To Walk

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by missinggreenfields View Post
    Ready Mixed Concrete (South East) Ltd v Minister of Pensions and National Insurance shows that you need all three to be an employee. It's been there for 48 years now.
    OK I suck at these legal things but being inside and outside IR35 isn't the same is it? You can be inside IR35 but still not be classed an employee as per this case. So yes, interesting discussion between of service and for service but an IR35 case has many different merits with a different outcome?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      OK I suck at these legal things but being inside and outside IR35 isn't the same is it? You can be inside IR35 but still not be classed an employee as per this case. So yes, interesting discussion between of service and for service but an IR35 case has many different merits with a different outcome?
      Not yet. Why do you think the PSC changes are structured as they are?
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        Not yet. Why do you think the PSC changes are structured as they are?
        To remain suitably ambiguous because it may not suit HMRC to ever provide a comprehensive definition of a PSC?
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by missinggreenfields View Post
          Ready Mixed Concrete (South East) Ltd v Minister of Pensions and National Insurance shows that you need all three to be an employee. It's been there for 48 years now.
          And it might have been there for 48 years but as this article discusses it is the basis of the discussion but is no way the final say and has been altered and attempted to be applied numerous times. Heavy but interesting read.

Difference Between Employee And Independent Contractor | Law Teacher
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            And it might have been there for 48 years but as this article discusses it is the basis of the discussion but is no way the final say and has been altered and attempted to be applied numerous times. Heavy but interesting read.

Difference Between Employee And Independent Contractor | Law Teacher
            It's not an article. As the advertising blocks point out in the middle of it, "This law essay is an example of a student's work" - and a student who does not know the difference between "sort" and "sought" as a starting point.

Until RMC is overturned, that's where it says that you need all three to be an employee. The implication being that one cannot be an employee (or a disguised employee) if one (or more than one) pillars of employment is absent - that's the case law, which is why HMRC wanted to change the IR35 rules so that only one of the three was required to fall inside IR35.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
              No. You came to the end of the agreed work and left. If anything clients are happier that you'll walk once work is completed rather than hanging on to eek out every penny you can.

Explain what to potential clients? Your contract is commercial in confidence so you're contracted leaving date is none of their business.
              I've never left a contract part way through and I guess what I'm trying to get at is how do I deal with potential agency/client questions and assumptions. Often when you are looking for another contract the first question that is asked is 'why did you leave?' or 'how long was the contract?' or 'was it extended/is there a chance of extension?'. As part of the vetting or referencing process would agencies in particular ask these questions to previous clients? I know that I am running a commercial business but the reality is that these questions are asked and conclusions made so my concern is that not honoring a contract is seen in a negative light. If any of you have been in similar situations how did you handle these scenarios?

My notice is one week and the update is I'm doing the work from Monday but this is only because I have no other contract to go to and don't want to just hand my notice in without one. However it is BAU and outside of the programme, calls for knowledge I do not have (it's technical as well as administrative) and has no relevance to the role I currently am contracted to do. On top of that my 'boss' can be bolshy and really likes this manipulative permie. Trying to guilt trip me with comments that the guy has too much work and is'breaking under the strain' seems over the top to say the least.
              Last edited by Willy Win; 9 October 2016, 09:06.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy Win View Post
                I've never left a contract part way through and I guess what I'm trying to get at is how do I deal with potential agency/client questions and assumptions. Often when you are looking for another contract the first question that is asked is 'why did you leave?' or 'how long was the contract?' or 'was it extended/is there a chance of extension?'. As part of the vetting or referencing process would agencies in particular ask these questions to previous clients? I know that I am running a commercial business but the reality is that these questions are asked and conclusions made so my concern is that not honoring a contract is seen in a negative light. If any of you have been in similar situations how did you handle these scenarios?

My notice is one week and the update is I'm doing the work from Monday but this is only because I have no other contract to go to and don't want to just hand my notice in without one. However it is BAU and outside of the programme, calls for knowledge I do not have (it's technical as well as administrative) and has no relevance to the role I currently am contracted to do. On top of that my 'boss' can be bolshy and really likes this manipulative permie. Trying to guilt trip me with comments that the guy has too much work and is'breaking under the strain' seems over the top to say the least.
                Provided you are happy to be inside IR35 and throughly miserable continue working - personally, the time to take a stand has come and gone and its now too late
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  Provided you are happy to be inside IR35 and throughly miserable continue working - personally, the time to take a stand has come and gone and its now too late
                  This, you have rolled over and have to accept the consequences of that decision.
                  They don't sound very pretty.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy Win View Post

You left because the work finished.

And your reference is your other agency if need be or in loads of cases you don't need to give one.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X