• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is the General View on Leaving A Contract Early With Notice?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tractor Trace View Post
    I am 2 months into a 6 month contract (renewed after having done 3 months). The rates ok but the work I have moved onto doing has not turned out to be what I was expecting, as well as being pulled into another 'project' that is tulip. I've never pulled out of a contract before but this time I want out and the contract is written with a one week's notice either side.

How do you deal with explaining finishing a contract early when you are looking for new gigs? Have you just stated your last day as the date when the contract ends or given the original end date and told the truth? Is not seeing a contract through viewed in a bad light? I have no other contract lined up yet.
    As long as you have a good number of start to finish projects on your Cv you can afford the occasional "hike". it is when you make a habit of not completing stuff or have too many short contracts that people get wary.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I read a lot on this topic over the last few months... I had 6 months contract renewed 2 times, the last few months were horrible - boring tasks and very slow. I was waiting for house purchase to be finalized, so couldn't leave. Finally, I accepted 3rd extension, did some work for a couple more weeks and then gave notice once a new opportunity came along.

Not ideal - I know. But I was reasonable with everyone - client, agency, new client. Looks like everyone is happy and supportive. I think in most cases they will be... good luck.

Comment

Look for something else, say that you're available immediately as it'll take a week to turn round the contract, especially if you send it for review while you're serving notice.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
        X