• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fujitsu announced 1800 job losses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fujitsu announced 1800 job losses

Looks like there is going to be another influx of newbie contractors looking for work soon. Not good news for an already saturated market (in my sector at least)

Electronics company Fujitsu announces up to 1,800 UK job losses

They used to have a big presence in HSBC, Credit Suisse & Barclays Capital for most of their support staff who would earn a fraction of the rate the bank would pay Fujitsu. But they currently prefer that outsourcing model to hiring experienced contractors directly!

Comment

Does the report say anything about IT contractors or just Fujitsu in general ?

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernManc78 View Post
        Looks like there is going to be another influx of newbie contractors looking for work soon. Not good news for an already saturated market (in my sector at least)

Too right - here's another report about it in the BBC Business news.

BBC News - Fujitsu to cut upto 1800 jobs in the UK

Mark my words - Not long now before the only jobs left in the UK are those that are SC Security Cleared.

Also what's this I hear about the rise of the 'work from home ( in Eastern Europe ) contractor' - who's cheap
        and what's more doesn't compromise a Hard Brexit.
        Last edited by Tightfit; 11 October 2016, 19:12.

Comment

Originally posted by Tightfit View Post
          Too right - here's another report about it in the BBC Business news.

BBC News - Fujitsu to cut upto 1800 jobs in the UK

Mark my words - Not long now before the only jobs left in the UK are those that are SC Security Cleared.

Also what's this I hear about the rise of the 'work from home ( in Eastern Europe ) contractor' - who's cheap
          and what's more doesn't compromise a Hard Brexit.
          I was on SC for Fujitsu at DVLA in Swansea (twice) - total non-job, fuk all to do, literally fighting over work so no wonder they're seeing the light and culling folk.

Dunno what you mean about WFH but it's rarely an option on SC work, I never had it, but some (a few permies on call) did. And that's DWP, DVLA, and HMRC.

So SC is ok if like working 5 days a week in the far corners of tuliphole UK....

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
            Does the report say anything about IT contractors or just Fujitsu in general ?
            It just mentions UK workers for Fujitsu in general, what I meant by my comment was that a percentage of those will take whatever redundancy payout they get and turn to contracting instead of being a perm meaning more contractors fighting over the same number of contracts making it harder to find a new gig and money and more downtime between contracts.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
              I was on SC for Fujitsu at DVLA in Swansea (twice) - total non-job, fuk all to do, literally fighting over work so no wonder they're seeing the light and culling folk.

Dunno what you mean about WFH but it's rarely an option on SC work, I never had it, but some (a few permies on call) did. And that's DWP, DVLA, and HMRC.

So SC is ok if like working 5 days a week in the far corners of tuliphole UK....
              Depends on the client / department. Every SC job I've had has involved some degree of flexible working. NHS, HO, CO, GDS, ONS. I think it depends whether the client is the actual department or consultancy like Fujitsu. Your more likely to get flexible working if you are engaged directly by the client. The last NHS gig I did was 100% remote working.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                The good news is that the government have finally woken up to the fact that they pay too much for desks and the places they put them in. They are currently moving to a flexible working culture meaning far fewer desks and far more work from where it suits the worker. They are also moving away from the use of SC as a mandatory clearance. _most departments_ are not dealing threat to life or with stuff that would cause political turmoil if it got to the wrong places. However most people that try and jump into the Government from a Bank or Retail type background will make a total ****up of it because they just don't understand the culture and why they can't just ask their favourite sales guy for a load of IT Hardware over a line of coke on a strippers arse...

No doubt load of people will read this and say but I am different I would be good at government. Trust me just the fact that you think that way will make you the perfect anti-candidate...

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                  The good news is that the government have finally woken up to the fact that they pay too much for desks and the places they put them in. They are currently moving to a flexible working culture meaning far fewer desks and far more work from where it suits the worker. They are also moving away from the use of SC as a mandatory clearance. _most departments_ are not dealing threat to life or with stuff that would cause political turmoil if it got to the wrong places. However most people that try and jump into the Government from a Bank or Retail type background will make a total ****up of it because they just don't understand the culture and why they can't just ask their favourite sales guy for a load of IT Hardware over a line of coke on a strippers arse...

No doubt load of people will read this and say but I am different I would be good at government. Trust me just the fact that you think that way will make you the perfect anti-candidate
                  Closest I have got is Network Rail and the London Underground, I understand what you are saying completely.
                  Both times I went in under the consultancy banner and both times I found I got better results as I let them know I was an independent contractor.
                  Obviously, the consultancy did want them to know this, but it was surprising how much better the results got, when they found out I was not "one of them"

Now where's my coke and where's that strippers @rse
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Am I right in thinking that SC will only really apply to public sector jobs? The same jobs which will be affected by the new IR35 rules supposedly under consultation? If so, then SC isn't going to be very lucrative for much longer.

Comment

Working...
                    X