• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Always check SC is transferred...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Always check SC is transferred...

A simple yet complicated tale.

Had SC clearance, active, needed renewing under 5 year deal in Feb 2017.

Worked through big ( and incompetent ) consultancy call it A, which ended Oct 2014.

Months later worked through a small consultancy to provide services at defence company B. Role was BPSS but if you had SC they would put in the transfer request to keep it active as long as you filled in the request form - which I did and had evidence of.

Company B forgot to put the transfer request in, instead putting me through BPSS. Meaning SC has now lapsed under the 1 year deal. Company B initially offered to sponsor a new application to correct their mistake - which they are now reneging on, citing the expiry date of Feb 2017.

How was this whole situation uncovered?

Contract was upcoming at public sector client C who are firm in wanting active SC holders only... yes, I know what people will say but that's the reality of things. Client C are people I've worked at before, I know the politics, the lay of the land and the fact they find it difficult to get people in. In short, good chance of getting a very good, lengthy contract.

They wanted to know who held confirmation of my clearance. I found out it was Consultancy A - obvious had left them 2 years before so I queried it up and handled the situation honestly. The project managers had failed to inform their security team I'd left so they still thought I worked there! I informed them when I'd left, so that then inactivated the clearance due to Company B having screwed up...

So application for client C has now gone. Company B claiming their mistake hasn't had a detrimental effect on my ability to get other, as they term it "employment". After all, losing someone's clearance doesn't limit the future opportunities whatsoever... I was raised with the ethos that if you make a mistake, you correct it.

The TL;DR version.

NEVER assume a company have correctly transferred SC. Always ask for some evidence the transfer request has gone in / check with the relevant vetting agency.

Originally posted by perplexed View Post

NEVER assume a company have correctly transferred SC. Always ask for some evidence the transfer request has gone in / check with the relevant vetting agency.
    People with SC clearance don't do this?!??!?!?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

A simple yet complicated tale.

Had SC clearance, active, needed renewing under 5 year deal in Feb 2017.

Worked through big ( and incompetent ) consultancy call it A, which ended Oct 2014.

Months later worked through a small consultancy to provide services at defence company B. Role was BPSS but if you had SC they would put in the transfer request to keep it active as long as you filled in the request form - which I did and had evidence of.

Company B forgot to put the transfer request in, instead putting me through BPSS. Meaning SC has now lapsed under the 1 year deal. Company B initially offered to sponsor a new application to correct their mistake - which they are now reneging on, citing the expiry date of Feb 2017.

How was this whole situation uncovered?

Contract was upcoming at public sector client C who are firm in wanting active SC holders only... yes, I know what people will say but that's the reality of things. Client C are people I've worked at before, I know the politics, the lay of the land and the fact they find it difficult to get people in. In short, good chance of getting a very good, lengthy contract.

They wanted to know who held confirmation of my clearance. I found out it was Consultancy A - obvious had left them 2 years before so I queried it up and handled the situation honestly. The project managers had failed to inform their security team I'd left so they still thought I worked there! I informed them when I'd left, so that then inactivated the clearance due to Company B having screwed up...

So application for client C has now gone. Company B claiming their mistake hasn't had a detrimental effect on my ability to get other, as they term it "employment". After all, losing someone's clearance doesn't limit the future opportunities whatsoever... I was raised with the ethos that if you make a mistake, you correct it.

The TL;DR version.

Clearance comes with the role, the role at B didn't need SC so it couldn't be transferred, stopped reading after that.
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        People with SC clearance don't do this?!??!?!?
        Clearly.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          Clearance comes with the role, the role at B didn't need SC so it couldn't be transferred, stopped reading after that.
          Exactly, I can only assume the request form was ignored, as in this scenario, as it wasn't needed.
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Company B were willing to transfer SC. They've done so for all contractors and permies on site.

I'm going on what security themselves have confirmed - they made a mistake. They've themselves admitted that.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
              Exactly, I can only assume the request form was ignored, as in this scenario, as it wasn't needed.
              Company B have already accepted they made a mistake by failing to put in a transfer request. Role was always put forward to my company as requiring SC.

Comment

Company B were willing to transfer SC. They've done so for all contractors and permies on site.

I'm going on what security themselves have confirmed - they made a mistake. They've themselves admitted that.
                Then technically they are in breach of the rules around SC and could lose their status as being able to sponsor people, long and short of it they did things right with you, its just you missed out on them doing things wrong in the past.
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Then technically they are in breach of the rules around SC and could lose their status as being able to sponsor people, long and short of it they did things right with you, its just you missed out on them doing things wrong in the past.
                  Vetting agency didn't share the same concerns when I approached them to find out what could be done.

I've no doubt many people play hard and fast with the regulations.

Comment

I've no doubt many people play hard and fast with the regulations.
                    I very much doubt that when it comes to SC.

Who is the vetting agency?? SC can only be transferred between List X companies. I didn't think any agencies are required or even allowed to mess about with SC? Do you mean DBS National Security Vetting?
                    Last edited by northernladuk; 31 October 2016, 11:59.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X