• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When to move into contracting?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to move into contracting?

Im a recent starter in the IT field and i hope to move into contracting as soon as ive gained enough experience to make it practical. Currently employed as jr network engineer, security cleared, with CCNA. Over the next 2 years i hope to gain more experience and more certifications to make myself more marketable.

Just wondering at what point did you all move from regular employment to contracting?

Originally posted by Welly59 View Post
    Im a recent starter in the IT field and i hope to move into contracting as soon as ive gained enough experience to make it practical. Currently employed as jr network engineer, security cleared, with CCNA. Over the next 2 years i hope to gain more experience and more certifications to make myself more marketable.

Just wondering at what point did you all move from regular employment to contracting?
    I'd say about 20 years ago. It's dying mate and Brexit it will make it worse.

Comment

I don't think the contracting market will exist as we know it by the time you've got enough experience under your belt to compete to be honest. I'd imagine it will be standard way to recruit but with rates reflecting permie land..
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Is it becoming that bad? You don't sound very positive

How much experience is required?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          I don't think the contracting market will exist as we know it by the time you've got enough experience under your belt to compete to be honest. I'd imagine it will be standard way to recruit but with rates reflecting permie land..
          I'd like to think there would be some way of earning better than permie money unless permie money goes up and they meet in the middle. I don't know about others but the reason I went contracting was because I was fed up of getting such a small piece of the pie when I was being charged out to clients at 800-1000 a day when I worked for consultancy companies. The consultancy companies will still be charging people out at big rates per day so there will always be some people who find a way to get a piece of that action

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernManc78 View Post
            I'd like to think there would be some way of earning better than permie money unless permie money goes up and they meet in the middle. I don't know about others but the reason I went contracting was because I was fed up of getting such a small piece of the pie when I was being charged out to clients at 800-1000 a day when I worked for consultancy companies. The consultancy companies will still be charging people out at big rates per day so there will always be some people who find a way to get a piece of that action
            and there's still a massive gap of the skills needed. My recent view of the calibre of youngsters coming from school into IT isn't worrying me about my ability to find work for the next 20 years.

For some reason there are some right idiots being pushed into IT, presumably as they're not clever enough for more respected careers, and too fat/lazy to be tradesmen.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Consultancies charging out at this are a different model to us so I think your thinking is a little flawed there.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Many of my clients are consultancies.

So I'm still being charged out for stupid amounts per day. The amount I get covers what a consultancy should cover for their employees anyway including time on the bench.

However the advantage for me not working directly for a consultancy is when there is no work in an geographical area I want to work in, I don't have to work at the other end of the country or lose my job.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Welly59 View Post

There isn't a particular point it depends on your skills, what else is going on in your life and the economy. Many people I know jump into contracting after being made redundant.

Ideally before going contracting you would get as high in an organisation as possible. Lots of people I spoke to if they don't get promoted and/or a pay rise within 2 years find another permanent job.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The beginning of the end of contracting started many years ago, but perhaps for new wannabe contactors £250/day is sufficient for them to sell their dreams for.

Comment

Working...
                    X