• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fishing agents - phone calls and emails without a footer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fishing agents - phone calls and emails without a footer

The fishing is getting more elaborate.

Just over a week ago I had 2 calls on my mobile the number showed as "private". They introduced themselves but muffled up their words to make it hard to hear their name and the agency. The first call the guy claimed he had a role with Vodafone in London for £700 per day. I said oh I didn't know Vodafone were in London they normally are just in Newbury. Oh they are looking for London based roles he said. I don't have telecoms experience I said. Line went dead.

A few days later another call this time I asked them to repeat the agency name. The name he gave I think they must have "borrowed" as I googled and it seemed legit and I recognised it as the same agency from before. You called me two days ago I said. Oh did we was the reply, sorry that is not on our records who did you speak to they asked. I didn't have a name. Anyway, they said a finance company have a role paying £800 per day. I don't have finance experience I said. Oh me and my colleagues think it will be ok but we need to know if you have have had any other interviews and where has your CV been to. I can't give that information I said. Line went dead.

Yesterday another call. This time a gal but agency name was different even though a private number. Same story this time Argos and Sainsburys merger at the top end of the rates I would work for. Suspicions aroused as why would Sainsburys pay so much. She nattered on about how they only want people who are in demand and read out the job spec. I asked her to mail the job spec and call me back 2 hours later. The job spec came as follows - it could have been written by a kid. The email had no signature on. The email is a gmail account. Googling showed no info on the person or agency.

On 17 Nov 2016 4:42 pm, Jillian Sanders <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > Hi <name deleted>,
    >
    > Pleasure speaking to you on the phone. Here is the job specification as i have it.
    >
    > Experience
    >
    > · Project Manager
    > · Project Management
    > · Overlooking an implementation
    >
    > Responsibilities
    >
    > · Project Management
    > · Management of over 20 people
    > · Working in distribution channels
    > · Highlight project risks and mitigating circumstances
    > · Dealing with external stakeholders
    > · Facilitating and working in workshops
    > · Directing activities
    >
    > Location London, UK
    > Duration 6 months (with possibility of extension)
    > Start Date Immediate
    > Rate £900 per day
    > Look forward to catching up with you at 6!
    > Kind Regards,
    >
    > Jillian Sanders
    >
    >
    >
    >
    She called 2 hours later. Do you want to apply for the role. ok then I said. then some questions, some normal, some seemed strange, like what would stop you accepting this job if offered. don't know I said the job spec doesn't say much, until I have been to an interview. Finally the crunch question... Sainsburys will only interview people who are in demand, you need to prove you are in demand. I had already mentioned that I had an interview earlier in the day and had given the company name. I need a contact name to apply she said. I need to get permission from that person I replied. Ok then she said can you get that by noon tomorrow? ok I will try I said but it would be easier for me to call you when I have it can you give me your phone number? Oh I will mail you my contact details.

No email with contact details came.

Phone call came from private number came at 11:45am - I did not answer it.

'Tis a scam stay well away.
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Wow, that sounds seriously amateurish.

Comment

I don't answer private numbers.

If the call is real they will leave a message or email you.

Though even then some of the fishers do this. However I soon put the phone down on them during the call.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Sainsbury's only interview people who are in demand? Who do they think they are Apple or Google, let's face it they're not even Waitrose!

Comment

I'd dig out the name of a chairman of a company and give them that. They'll be too thick to know any better and you can imagine the phone call as they try to contact the Head Honcho.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            I'd dig out the name of a chairman of a company and give them that. They'll be too thick to know any better and you can imagine the phone call as they try to contact the Head Honcho.
            "No, it's SIR Philip Green, yes he asked for me personally when he heard about my pension expertise I'd done for a Mr Madoff...yes we used Agile."

qh
            He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
              "No, it's SIR Philip Green, yes he asked for me personally when he heard about my pension expertise I'd done for a Mr Madoff...yes we used Agile."

qh
              A good blast from the past is give them the name Mr. C. Lyon and the number for Chester Zoo...

Mr G. Raffe...
              Mr. L.E. Fant...
              Miss Ali Gator...

The 80's office, what fun we had with no computers on our desks, two phones, internal and external, can I have an outside line please.

What were those calculating machines called? loads of button and and a lever on the side?

And we had to use our Dictaphone, though I preferred to use my finger. I showed my son a phone with a dial, he thought you pressed the holes. And he thought a fax machine sent the paper down the wire. How does that work then?

Comment

Comptometers!! I think....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                  A good blast from the past is give them the name Mr. C. Lyon and the number for Chester Zoo...

Mr G. Raffe...
                  Mr. L.E. Fant...
                  Miss Ali Gator...
                  Better to give them proper fake names as some of them actually fall for it....
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Anything that offers unusually high rates is usually BS, at least that's my experience in the past...
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                    X